1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiny House living?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by SlushboxTeggy, Jan 29, 2015.

1. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

So there is a show on FYI called Tiny House Nation about people choosing to live in houses under 500 square feet. Most in fact, are under 300. I've been watching it and think it's pretty cool. Does anyone else watch or think tiny houses are pretty cool?

This is a video of a skier who pulled a tiny house around for a winter on tour. He also happens to be the contractor on the show.

2. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

There was a documentary on Netflix awhile back. I kind of find it interesting however I don't think I'd be able to live in such tiny quarters.

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Yeah i dig it. It's really too bad it's not really legal anywhere around here.

At the end of it all, a lot of these guys spend a LOT of money on these things, where you could have just bought a bad ass aussie bug out trailer for the money that's far more useful and has the same space.

4. invisibledemon

invisibledemon Bored Moderator VIP

my house 2/1. its plenty small enough. and i have seen what some of those fools spend on 250sf of space, and a lot of times what we paid for our house is cheaper. its always cheaper if you calculate cost per sf.

Briansol likes this.
  5. hondarin

hondarin Please enter a value using 50 characters or fewer. VIP

Briansol likes this.
  6. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i would love to have one as a summer home on the beach or something, but otherwise no. i like my space. and electricity.

Briansol and Jeef like this.
  7. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

My biggest wonder is these people spend all kinds of money converting/building what are in most cases essentially motorhomes. So with that point wouldn't it just be less time money and work to just buy an older used motorhome fix it up a little perhaps and then drift through the southwest.

8. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

My old condo was 720 sq ft 2 bedroom, and the 1 bedrooms in the complex were like 500sqft. It was tough at time with 2 people and the dog but overall manageable. I don't think I would want anything much smaller than that. I missed having somewhere to have shop and found myself bored a lot.
    Like Mirage said I could do it for a vacation place but not an everyday place.

9. tab

tab Super Moderator

I watched several episodes. Glorified trailer park crap with good storage option.

Rule #1 for the show, throw away most of your shit! Vacation hideaway at best.

efhondakid likes this.
  10. chadcharb

chadcharb Well-Known Member VIP

a friend is converting a shipping container right now but it is just a cabin for his fishing property. I couldn't live in something that small unless it was somewhere really cool like the cabin Dick Proenneke built in the 60's. Now that was a badass little place

chestercheeto48 and tab like this.
  11. Briansol

The idea behind the house is to not be in the house. Be outside. Don't have things. Enjoy life for what it is without all the material possessions.

The things you own end up owning you.

SlushboxTeggy likes this.
  12. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

I'm not gonna lie, I definitely regret buying a 2500SQ foot house. It's completely unnecessary for two people. We don't even use half the rooms. In fact my wife and I were on the deck over the Fall smoking a stogie and having a drink and she started talking about maybe looking to sell the house down the road and move into something smaller. I told her I was all for it. Something around 1600-1800SQ feet with a fully finished basement and a bigger yard with less neighbors in a nicer town that's just as nice as what we have now would be ideal.

We lived in her 840SQft condo 2bed and 2 bath, was wayyy to cramped....Condos are the worst purchase ever fyi...Don't even buy one....

13. corvetteguy78

Sounds like you want people to move to Africa and live in tents with no electricity or plumbing with no possessions lol

14. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

No plans for kids? Because I'll tell you having a 5yr old and a 2yr old running around our 1500 sq ft house gets cramped REAL quick. I also have dreams of my own home office some day. I've considered building a shed in the backyard for that purpose, but 1/2 of our property is hillside..

15. corvetteguy78

Nope we don't want kids...But yea if that was the plan this house would be perfect. I mean, we love the house don't get me wrong. It was turnkey completely updated, just what we were looking for. But now that I have lived there for over 2 years all I keep thinking about is what a waste of space. The only problem is for a $330,000 budget, you get a shitty house in a nice town not even comparable to what to the kind of house we have now. Or you get a really small house for the same price

i would say this is pretty comparable to what we have now in terms up niceness and being a 3bd/3bth just like ours...It's in a much better town...but it's also 1600SQFT at that price...we paid $327,500 for ours.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1278-Summit-Rd_Cheshire_CT_06410_M32044-92845?row=4

16. Briansol

rent a room out to a buddy.

17. corvetteguy78

All my buddies are miserably married with kids lol. i don;t have any interest in renting out a room unless it was to a smoking hot horny foreign exchange female student who barely spoke English and walked around in a nightly and thongs with a smoking hot body who loves married american guys

18. Briansol

That's an easy way out of the house... you'll end up divorced and she'll take the house. lol

19. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Fuck condos, a shitty stepping stone everyone seemed to have done. I don't think I know of anyone who made money on theirs.

You can get a nice house in a good town for under 330k. Middlesex county has a lot of good towns, but it can be rural if that bothers you. Talking to empty nesters, once the kids leave they love getting a smaller house. Its just more space to clean and heat.

With the talk about square footage, we are forgetting how the square footage is laid out makes a huge difference.

20. tab

tab Super Moderator

:agree:
    2112 sq ft at my place, single story. Two story houses can offer a larger yard due to the smaller footprint. Floor plans also affect the feel of a space. No worries for you, but for the younger guys(or anyone with small kids), get a huge shower! It's the only refuge left for two adults at times.

Jeef likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted