Tips and Tricks.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adnoh

Hey Guys,

So I took the hatch on a little detour after work today, nice twisty road, cranked up the TEIN's, looking to brush up on my Lapping skills before I go for the first time this season, this monday. After a few nice soft high-speed turns, I hit a few 90's, so I prep for a late apex and start to downshift. And it just hit me.....I SUCK at downshifting....like majorly suck. This lack of skill is probably why I have a bit of understeer around tight corners.....I can never get it into gear fast enough and take the turn wide.

Any autoX'ers have any downshifting tips or tricks to help out my times?

Originally posted by bjfisher@Jul 25 2005, 01:55 PM
whats so hard about it?its just like up shifting quick
[post=530925]Quoted post[/post]​

<_< He's looking for tips and tricks not stupid ass comments.

Originally posted by bjfisher@Jul 25 2005, 04:55 PM
whats so hard about it?its just like up shifting quick
[post=530925]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok bud, when you're on a long straight, going over 110MPH and you have to setup for a late apex 90 degree turn, you tell me how easy it is to downshift properly and still maintain a solid racing line without understeering.

Stronger arms and faster feet. :)

Get your heel/toe technique down, and make sure you can manipulate the wheel accurately with only your left hand- it's easy after that. You might want to look into some wider pedals or pedal covers to make the heel/toe easier (or fat-footing as its known for the Hondas).

Ya know cal, you take the fun out of my life. Im sitting here reading this topic and im like, "Dumb remark, dumb remard....wow stupid (not in that order)" and then i hit yours and think "Fucker stole my thought"

Yeah, the only way to help your sitch is to work on heel toe. You do have syncros, but the less they work, the easier your shift will be. So after you get the wider brake pedals, when you enter the corner, start your braking with your left foot on the clutch. Then before you actually turn the wheel, rev your engine to match the gear your going to put it into. Then the gear should fall into place and accelerate through the apex.

That sounds easy...i know it does, but keep practicing, with time, heel toe will be your life...just remember stop signs still mean something. Im forbidden to drive a certain S2000 because of my driving....some people cant respect doing a 90 degree turn at 60 mph without spinning out...i swear...you wear out one LSD and your branded for life."

Back