Tire Performance....without killing myself

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I want to get some new tires, not too expensive, but I need ones that will perform well in rain and snow (I'm moving to minnesota). I would like to get azenies, but I dont think they'd do too well up there. I also would like something that wont wear out too quick as well.

-btw, im looking for AutoX tires, not drag.

I am in michigan, which basicly has the same weather as Minnisota, just with a little less snow in the winter. Get the azenis if your into autocross. Are they good in the winter? Hell no. That is why you just ride on some stealies wraped in all seasons. There really is no tires that will do even close to good in autocross that are good in winter.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 2 2004, 08:04 PM
I am in michigan, which basicly has the same weather as Minnisota, just with a little less snow in the winter. Get the azenis if your into autocross. Are they good in the winter? Hell no. That is why you just ride on some stealies wraped in all seasons. There really is no tires that will do even close to good in autocross that are good in winter.

or get steelies wrapped in nothing but winter tires only...then put your azenis on for the summer/fall/spring.

cheapest way to go with two sets of tires...

Only, I would have to buy a new set of rims, because stock honda steelies dont fit over my teg brake conversion....

but I'll conserider it. I can proably find some $100 14" rims that I can put snow tires on. So...what tire should I use in the winter then...if I'm running azenies in the summer?

I have a few sets of 14" honda steelies that all fit over integra brake conversions.

I also would say, some old alloy integra wheels, or accord wheels. I am on accord wheels right, with a little spray paint they don't look that horrible.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@May 3 2004, 12:10 AM
I have a few sets of 14" honda steelies that all fit over integra brake conversions.

I also would say, some old alloy integra wheels, or accord wheels. I am on accord wheels right, with a little spray paint they don't look that horrible.

What year accord rims are they? Current accords are 4*114.5

01+ civic ex steelies are 15" and are a dime a dozen. look for a set of those. thats what i rock in winter mode.
you can probably get them with tires for 100 bucks.

Originally posted by asmallsol+May 3 2004, 06:15 AM-->
Slammed89Integra
@May 3 2004, 12:10 AM

What year accord rims are they? Current accords are 4*114.5

Old 80's ones. They're aight. I rattle canned them black and kept the covers silver, they don't look that hideous.

Its kind of funny, over the last year I acquired a lot of wheels. I have a total of 2 Sets of steelies, 1 set of Enkei 15" old school wheels, these accord wheels, and another set of focal 16's, and this week I'm getting another set of hx wheels.

what city are you moving to? if you live in the twin cities, the streets are usually plowed pretty well. i don't have anti-lock brakes and the only time i've ever completely lost traction is driving too fast and coming to a stop sign on a neighborhood street with a slight decline... and that was my first winter, lesson learned. just learn to drive safely and any cheap all weather tire should work well. i'd be more worried about the tons and tons of salt and sand that is poured onto the streets, slowly chipping and eating away at your car.

lol, a winter beater would be nice, then you can pull the e-brake and slide around in the snow when you're bored, haha.

if you don't live in the twin cities... better get some snow shoes and a snowmobile cuz no tire is going to help you :p

lonely - yeah I'm moving to the twin cities. I plan on renting a garage and leaving my car in it for most of the winter...and most other times too. I mainly just want the car for dates and racing :p. Anyone know how much it'll cost to garage the car 8 months of the year in Minneapolis?

Back