tire pressure question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

My tires are 205/40/16's wrapping my velox VX-8R rims. My question is what is the reccommend psi for the tires on my 92 hatch. People say that you should just find out what you like but I have yet to notice a large difference when bumping up the psi 8lbs. I was just wondering what you guys think might be a good pressure to run. My car is a daily driver so i am not doing any type of drag/autox as for now at least...

The recommended tire pressure should be for hte tire, not for the car.

Look at what it says on the sidewall of the tire.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 6 2004, 09:45 PM

[post=399315]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you kidding me? The tires aren't made for just that car; they're made to fit whatever wheel they're supposed to. Yokohama doesn't care if they're on a Civic or a Freightliner. Max tire pressure is NOT optimal tire pressure, and WILL lead to prematue tire wear. Notice how it says, "Maximum inflation pressure" on the sidewall, not "ideal pressure for a '92 Civic?" Look in the owners manual for proper tire pressure. But that's only for stock sized tires. For 205/40- 16s, I'd say 37 PSI and go from there using some white shoe polish and several hard turns with the tires squealing (in a parking lot) to determine proper tire pressure.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+Oct 6 2004, 09:56 PM-->
revolution8k
@Oct 6 2004, 09:45 PM

Are you kidding me? The tires aren't made for just that car; they're made to fit whatever wheel they're supposed to. Yokohama doesn't care if they're on a Civic or a Freightliner. Max tire pressure is NOT optimal tire pressure, and WILL lead to prematue tire wear. Notice how it says, "Maximum inflation pressure" on the sidewall, not "ideal pressure for a '92 Civic?" Look in the owners manual for proper tire pressure. But that's only for stock sized tires. For 205/40- 16s, I'd say 37 PSI and go from there using some white shoe polish and several hard turns with the tires squealing (in a parking lot) to determine proper tire pressure.
[post=399326]Quoted post[/post]​

Is that maximum tire pressure that's quoted on the sidewall? I thought it was optimum what they're supposed to be filled to? Besides that, how would the owners manual know what the hell the optimum tire pressure should be for his 16s when the car came with 14s or 15s? :hmm:

Help me understand great Honkey! :)

Originally posted by revolution8k+Oct 6 2004, 09:59 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Oct 6 2004, 09:56 PM
revolution8k
@Oct 6 2004, 09:45 PM

[post=399326]Quoted post[/post]​

Is that maximum tire pressure that's quoted on the sidewall?

Yes. Go look right now. I command it.

I thought it was optimum what they're supposed to be filled to?

Read your owners manual right now. I command it, sayeth the Honkey.

Besides that, how would the owners manual know what the hell the optimum tire pressure should be for his 16s when the car came with 14s or 15s? :hmm:

It wouldn't, which is why I said,
But that's only for stock sized tires. For 205/40- 16s, I'd say 37 PSI and go from there using some white shoe polish and several hard turns with the tires squealing (in a parking lot) to determine proper tire pressure.

Help me understand great Honkey! :)
[post=399328]Quoted post[/post]​

Now that I have bestowed infinite knowledge upon you, you may now go forth and spread the knowledge.

aight then. I stand corrected, guess I always misunderstood my shop teacher. :)

I still don't see why a manufacturer would put hte max pressure on a tire where that max pressure could damage the tire depending on the load limit though.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 6 2004, 10:10 PM
aight then. I stand corrected, guess I always misunderstood my shop teacher. :)

I still don't see why a manufacturer would put hte max pressure on a tire where that max pressure could damage the tire depending on the load limit though.
[post=399339]Quoted post[/post]​

The max tire pressure will only damage the tire if the car is light enough. Throw a heavier car on that tire, run max pressure, and it won't wear. The recommended tire pressure is there to do two things- wear the tires evenly (too low, and the shoudlers wear; too high, and the center wears), and to provide enough pressure to achieve the proper load rating. Heavier cars dictate higher load ratings, which dictate higher tire pressures, given the same size tire between a heavy car and a light car.

honkey says 37 psi, I am at i think 40-41 psi right now and the ride seemed a little rougher, or it could be from my GF210's.Oh heres an off topic question, do springs have a break in period(just curious)?
Anyways, anyone else have an opinion on tire pressure?

Springs don't have a break in period, but after a month or three, they'll settle a small ammount. This varies depending on their quality and their rates.

Back