1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Racing and Driving Techniques' started by pills_PMD, Mar 25, 2003.

1. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i run around 30-32 psi on the street.. what is a good pressure for the track??
  2. 98integrals

98integrals Senior Member

track as in autox/road course, or track as in 1320?
  3. La_Pieuvre

La_Pieuvre Senior Member

I ran at 26 psi at the 1/8th mile track last time, i got way better traction
  4. pills_PMD

sorry. i meant a 1/4 mile strip.

i've heard people go as low as 22 psi, but that seems a bit low for me... 26 sounds nice. :woo:
  5. La_Pieuvre

La_Pieuvre Senior Member

yeah, just make sure you inflate it back for the drive home...driving on 26 psi feels so weird, kinda like riding on air cushions. ;) , and my gearbox felt kind of mushy...really a bizarre feeling :p
  6. 2 litre EG

2 litre EG Senior Member

when i run at the track i run at 15-18lbs on street tires [falken azeni's in my case]... i launch around 6000rpm at the track also... but i also have more torque than you pills [at least i think i do since i have ls/vtec]

in your case pills i would run about 18lbs then try launching at different RPMs to see any improvement's in time or traction

i forgot to add when on slicks i run at 13lbs and launch at 8000RPM
  7. 98integrals

98integrals Senior Member

ive heard of ppl running as low as 12psi :huh:
  8. pills_PMD

let me add also that i run bridestone s-03 pole positions on my rota slipstreams 11.5 lbs when i'm at the track..

2 litre eg.. i think i will try to go 26, then drop it to 18 perhaps.. try 5 K, 5.5 k , 6k etc.
  9. B16RacerN2NR

B16RacerN2NR Working Hard

i know my cousin ran 20-22psi on his golf when we went to the track...felt pretty damn good if you ask me...don't know what tires he was running tho
  10. msb

msb Junior Member

You can go as low as you want to. You will get more traction, but the tires will have more drag (friction between the tire and the street), wich will make you go slower. :wacko:

The bottom line is that you need to fins the perfect balance between acceleration (good traction: low psi) and speed (low friction: high psi).

It´s pretty tricky.... that´s why some of us engineers work on the motorsports industry!!

By the way, no. I am not one of those lucky bastards working for Honda. :worthy:
  11. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin

That's not always correct... on street tires, the carcass construction will cause the tread to cup at low tire pressures, so if you go too low, you'll start to lose your contact patch right where you need it- in the center of the tread. You do have to find that sweet spot, but only dedicated slicks can "go as low as you want". You really have to watch out when you're deflating your street tires for the strip.