Tire wear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
So, I noticed that my rear tire is wearing more heavily on the left side. Now I'm trying to make sense of it. I think it has something to do with how I feel more comfortable leaning into left sweepers. I had a shop check the rear wheel alignment, and they said it was perfect.

Any ideas?

Also, another thousand or so miles, and I'm going to start thinking about a new set of tires. Any suggestions? I do a lot of "touring" style riding, but I also take every single backroad I can. Couple times a week I have this stretch of 120 miles of backroads where it's one turn after another. I figure if I can get 5-6k out of a set of tires, I'm doing pretty well.

left handers tend to be wider arcing turns... and you said yourself you are more comfortable with them... i would guess you are probably right as to why the left side is wearing more

as far as tire recommendations go... i have no clue... havent paid a bit of attention to street bike tires in a long time
for supermotos... people who stay more on pavement seem to love the Continental ContiForce
motostrano_2102_28401705

people who venture off of pavement more tend to love the Avon Distanzia
motostrano_2107_24705560

but thats probably not all that helpful for a street bike

:shrug2:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, always thought I was weird for nearly draggin' peg on a left turn, but pussyfooting a righty.

Im the opposite. I am more comfortable leaning right than left. My tire is worn a lot more on the right as well.

Once I realized what I was doing, I've been trying to correct. What I really need is a good track school.

5-6K out of a rear is weak sauce.

normally you replace 2 rears to every 1 front.

I run BT016s If good I can see 3K from a rear. My F4i also managed to get in the 2500-3000 mile range on a rear. Main thing is riding style, some people get 6-7-8K out of a rear.... I have no idea how they do it.
Then again it sounds like you're getting up there lol stop riding your bike like the fit. =)

When are you dragging your ass down here so you can school me in some riding?

I very rarely ride the bike "to get somewhere" I normally just ride to ride/waste time. I'll probably get another 1k out of the current rear tire.

Should I just replace it with another 160/60r17 d220 when it's gone, then when that rear wears out replace both front and rear?

I very rarely ride the bike "to get somewhere" I normally just ride to ride/waste time. I'll probably get another 1k out of the current rear tire.

Should I just replace it with another 160/60r17 d220 when it's gone, then when that rear wears out replace both front and rear?

I rarely ride anywhere I ride to ride. I just hit back roads and go.

If you're riding to get somewhere like to/from work you should get more time out of a tire. It's the riding to have fun riding that will eat up the tire faster.

You should try to replace the rear with the same tire to match the front, once you replace both you can go to anything you want. just try to keep them in sets.

i was always a lot more comfortable hanging off the left side of the bike, but my real tire showed pretty even wear, from what i can remember
when i had a bike, i road it as often as i could, so there was also a lot of commuting miles/warn middle

figured this would be a show and tell chicken strips thread

I actually don't think it's 1/2 inch, probably closer to 12mm or 10mm. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

EDIT: or at work tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pics attached.

I do entirely too much straight line riding, and I wish I could get down further, but these 5 year old tires don't have the grip. (week 25 of 2005)

Attachments

• DSC_5669.JPG
    DSC_5669.JPG
    897.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_5668.JPG
    DSC_5668.JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 328
  • DSC_5667.JPG
    DSC_5667.JPG
    874 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
That's a lot of strip!

tire.jpg

I don't have a side shot but I assure you at about the 80mile point of the tires lift there was no mo =)

Those are some weird ass looking tires. What are they?

Dunlop d220. They're sport touring tires, stock on the SV. The tires are as old as the bike, honestly I don't trust them to grip at the edges, I've slid around too much getting down any further.

left hand turns are always across traffic when in populated areas, that's what I've chalked mine up to.

yea, you definitely hit the left turns harder
jeffie looks like he likes lefts more also

Mine are even on both sides but I do enjoy left turns more, I think for most Americans it feels more natural.

Only reason I say its even on both sides is because I ride hard and all it takes is one nice long turn and its gone. I've made my share =)

Back