to buy a 1997 corvette or not to buy

To buy or not to buy

• go for it, its your still young..

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • don't do it....drive the audi and be happy save your money

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

how much debt do you have?

do you have 6 months worth of expense saved up?

EXACTLY!!!!

Do you have 6 months of savings? do you have 0 debt other than a house? Can you pay cash for the car?

If you answer no to any of these, pass on it. get your mind right. buying that car with credit is typical honda owner mentality. 'why buy it later when i can get it on credit?' it's the wrong thinking.

and as far as corvettes go, ZR1 or nothing. lol

i'll always be in debt, that how it works....do you think people buy houses and cars in cash...99% of people dont. So therefore thats 30 years of debt right there.....debt is not my concern.....its being able to live comfortably....being able to put money into a savings but still be able to do stuff i want to do.....like i said monthly payments are not a concern i know my limit on what i can afford...

.right now i have $1450 cash flow a month thats after all my monthly bills are paid off, but does not include things like gas, food, entertainment or savings, .....10-12k car loan and 100/m on insurance will not break me....

if i get a roomate that cash flow will jump to $1800/m...i'm already on roomates.com and have like 12 people interested...

You can get a low mileage C5 Z06 at great prices. I've seen better prices than this one, but not anywhere near me like this. If you're honestly considering it, I'd shop around for a good deal on a Z06.
Cars for Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 in LEES SUMMIT , MO 64086: Coupe Details - 267775551 - AutoTrader.com

i dont want to spent 24k.....I was thinking 12k tops :)......I saw allot of "BUILT" C4's with 383's/396's 400+ wheel HP for sale for in my price rage--mid to semi mid mileage 50-70k(on car), and very few C5's under 100k miles for around $12k-$14k...

I'll keep searching until i find the best deal i can, but it MUST BE MANAUAL TRANNY! Condition and color are of course other factors.

There was a really nice 1994 Yellow 6spd one that looked pretty mint, I like the yellow but not sure I am in love with it

i'll always be in debt, that how it works....do you think people buy houses and cars in cash...99% of people dont. So therefore thats 30 years of debt right there.....debt is not my concern.....its being able to live comfortably....being able to put money into a savings but still be able to do stuff i want to do.....like i said monthly payments are not a concern i know my limit on what i can afford...

taking on debt for reliable transportation is one thing. taking on debt for a 'toy' is another.

just because you have 'spendable cash' doesn't mean you need to spend it. save some, put some in a retirement account, play in the stock market and let it grow.

it sounds like you have already made your decision here. i dont' know why you are consulting hondaswap about it.

taking on debt for reliable transportation is one thing. taking on debt for a 'toy' is another.

just because you have 'spendable cash' doesn't mean you need to spend it. save some, put some in a retirement account, play in the stock market and let it grow.

it sounds like you have already made your decision here. i dont' know why you are consulting hondaswap about it.

Again, the thing is i will still be putting away $600/m into various savings....i'm not touching the stock market....i have about 4500 shares of stock now in 6 different companies with a net worth of just over $100 dollars.

i sitll havent made up my mind...though....i'm 70/30 on getting one....

Found a nice one though ...1996 LT4 Collectors Edition 6spd Silver with Chrome ZR1 rims. 70k miles...they will ship it to me for $11,200(its in IL), KBB retail is $19,065 ....i love so much this car

it's up to you man. saving $600/month isn't really that much. do you have 6 months of savings in case you are out of a job? is your audi and all other debt other than house paid off?

if you can pile up $10,000 cash, get a loan at 8% and put the $10,000 into corporate bonds at 8%, you can basically get a free loan.

i'm trying to help you out here. if you want a car, get the friggin car. just make sure the rest of things are in order first.

if you are looking to the forum to get advice on whether or not you should buy it, you should rethink the process. no offense to the rest of the board, but only about 10% of the members here have their shit together. they all have a 'honda mentality'. buy now, play now, pay later.

Again, the thing is i will still be putting away $600/m into various savings....i'm not touching the stock market....i have about 4500 shares of stock now in 6 different companies with a net worth of just over $100 dollars.

i sitll havent made up my mind...though....i'm 70/30 on getting one....

Found a nice one though ...1996 LT4 Collectors Edition 6spd Silver with Chrome ZR1 rims. 70k miles...they will ship it to me for $11,200(its in IL), KBB retail is $19,065 ....i love so much this car
Get a c5! I was looking into vettes a few months back and was comparing 96' 6 speed cars to 97-00 c5's. I'd spend the extra dough for the c5. The chassis is way stiffer, it looks better, is built better, the tremec trans is much better than the zf (not saying much). Best of all, it has the ls1, which is better than the lt4 in every measure.

Get a c5! I was looking into vettes a few months back and was comparing 96' 6 speed cars to 97-00 c5's. I'd spend the extra dough for the c5. The chassis is way stiffer, it looks better, is built better, the tremec trans is much better than the zf (not saying much). Best of all, it has the ls1, which is better than the lt4 in every measure.
Ding ding ding. LSx>*.

I wish I had the cash for a toy. Hell wish I had a job.

One of my friends has a Special Edition C5 that just cracked 5 digits on the odometer, a Hyabusa, and an IS300 DD. Of cfourse, I'll probably be out of my parents house before he is.

meh i never liked those body styles.....

good luck to you sir

I've decided not to get a second car...some of what you guys makes sense....i'll just be happy with I have untl i have more saved and know my life is more stable...maybe ina couple years i'll be better off and can buy a Z06 :)

Buy me one too? :p

I could really use just a beat up pickup truck really. When I get my car paid off that'll be my next purchase.

meh i never liked those body styles.....

good luck to you sir
i gotta agree w/ taco, though we may be in the minority. altho c5+ is a beast, the only c5 look i like is z06. i don't like the look of c6 either. but i've rocked a mediocre 240sx before for the drivetrain. i like c3 and c4.

if it wasnt for you i wouldnt know a dam thing about C5's, thanks, i'll keep a C5 in mind!

im gonna get flamed for this but here goes.....what is so great about a vette??
i always hear people talking about wanting to own vettes,vipers,lambos,ferraris...fuck all that..
*here comes jeffie*

im gonna get flamed for this but here goes.....what is so great about a vette??
i always hear people talking about wanting to own vettes,vipers,lambos,ferraris...fuck all that..
*here comes jeffie*

For me it's about American Heritage, the looks, the feel of the car, the fact that it's a brand that for the price is the best performace car hands down in the world, ....

it's all about personal choice....i've always loved corvettes...id own any year and be happy...Someones Vette may be someones Honda S2000

plus, its a great performing mid end sports car that you can get for a good price.
great looks, great handling, its basically the poor mans super car.

i hate domestics, but i would love to own a vette. i just really like the bodys on them.

edit: injen, you really wont understand why people want high end cars until you actually get some good wheel time in a few.
i always thought the same, but one day my friends dad asked to me install a new radio, speakers and amps in his porsche 911.
after i got done he handed me the keys and told me to take it for a spin.
it was a fucking blast.

then, i got back into my integra to go home, and it felt like complete shit.

Last edited:
Back