To Buy or not to Buy? That is the question. BMW 525i

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, I've run across a hell of a deal on a 1992 BMW 525i. The car has 100k on the clock, has been sitting for the past two years, and prior to being parked, hit a deer. The deer damage is minor (grill, headlight, marker light, one fender) but no subframe or other damage.

I know I can replace the grill, headlights, and fender for around $300. I'm not sure as to paint though.. Maybe if I'm super lucky I can pick up a painted fender on ebay.. That would be a long shot. Anyway, the car needs a battery as well from sitting for so long, but other than that runs and shifts like a new car. It started on the first crank after sitting for two years. The oil was changed before it was started. The interior is very nice other than a few cigarette burns and the front seats being very worn. The dash, healiner, rear seats, door panels, etc are in excelent condition. The car is maroon outside with white leather interior.

My friend is the one selling it, and I know that when he did drive it, he treated it very well, always went to the bmw dealership for every service and part. He is needing $ right now, so he offered to sell it to me for $1200. I wouldn't try to talk him down because he needs the money, and that is a very fair price for the car. In average condition it books a little over 3k.

I would be buying the car to flip it. Clean it up, replace a few things, and sell it for whatever profit I could get out of it.

What do you think?

Cliffs Notes: 1992 BMW 525i Maroon on White. Clean other than the front seats and minor front end damage (grill, head light, fender). $1200

Worth attempting to purchase, fix and sell for a profit?

Last edited:
In my research, and my work at the body shop, your quote of $300 for the grille, lights and fender is missing a 0.

can you go without the money for a while?
to make it worth your time you're prob gonna have to hold it for a while to get the price you want...

look into maaco's ambassador special for flipping it
my mom smacked my 325is into a deer and maaco did a suprisingly decent paint job...

Yeah, I can drop $1200 for a bit without causing any financial problems..

About the carfax: The accident was never reported. It was a baby deer on a highway, he slowed alot before he hit it, said he was doing probably 30 when he smacked it. The damage confirms the story.. The plastic grill is broken, but the metal that holds it in place is still square. The fender buckled a little bit from where the front point of the fender hit the deer, the glass on the lights themselves is still intact, etc.. The hood was 4" away from where the deer impacted and is untouched.

He had just dumped about 1500 into the car in sensors and a tune up, $600 on a seat motor, $400 on a window motor and was disgusted with it. These things were so expensive because he always took it to the dealer.. He asked about the parts and they told him something like $2800 to repair it. So he said Fuck it, and bought an suv. Its been sitting ever since.

I'm probably going to buy it reguardless.. It'll be a decent car for my wife to drive while I repair/repaint the 'teggy. (I think i'm trying to talk myself into it)

Christ, I don't even want to know how much that would cost..

"Yeah, the motor was $800 but the sensors and ecu broght the swap total to $9726459576.90"

Anyway, I think I'm going to pick up the car tonight. My friend is coming to pick up the $$ so he can run to austin to buy a new hot rod computer with it. Aparently he doesn't "NEED" the money anymore, but he still wants to sell it.

Back