To buy or not to buy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

The S10 is a 5 speed.

I can't move til the end of this year, so I need a project or something to keep me occupied and out of trouble in my free time.

Do you really need something to keep you out of trouble? Save your money and spend the time you would be using to get into trouble to either take a class at the local college, or learn something at home like... spanish?

you don't have a job.
you don't need a 2nd car or a turbo kit right now.

get an S10 you can haul shit in it. put a magnet sign on the side that says "Will Work for Car Parts" and go take some money from the fat lazy americans like i said in the other thread :thumbsup:

be prepared to get raped at the gas pump in a truck/anything other than a honda, just fyi. i know it isn't news to anyone that gas is high, but i'll tell you it doubled my commute expenses when i switched to the jeep for winter. $300/mo just to put the gas in that leeeetle hole.

Do you really need something to keep you out of trouble? Save your money and spend the time you would be using to get into trouble to either take a class at the local college, or learn something at home like... spanish?

That's a good idea, I've really been thinking about taking up some classes at the community college. My grandmother has been trying to get me to go too. I just really would like a job before I go take classes

That's a good idea, I've really been thinking about taking up some classes at the community college. My grandmother has been trying to get me to go too. I just really would like a job before I go take classes
get a job at the school and go to school for free!

I would be ecstatic if I could get a job at the school. That would be ideal, even if I was a minimum wage earning, toilet cleaning bitch.

Even if he swapped in a mild 350 and drove it without stomping it it would get good gas milage for a truck.

get a job at the school and go to school for free!
yep. you can always find jobs in the food court areas or doing random shit in computer labs and stuff. the schools around here arent high paying, but they are a little above min. wage. You should easily be able to get financial aid, just fill out a FAFSA, and see if your state offers a fee waiver. CA offers it, and I have never had to pay for classes.

You might also want to check out the continuing education schools around there. they are usually run by the community college districts, but centered more towards adults and gaining certs to get a higher paying job. I'm taking a CAD class through one right now, and happened to see that they offer full on CCNA cert and a few other certs for free.

no one's gonna hand you shit dude, especially w/ your prior record people are going to be reluctant to give you a chance. Take it upon yourself to prove what you are worth. When you say that you won't accept certain wages, that's bullshit. Remember, when you f'ed up your record, you now also lost the benefit of the doubt that an employer may have given you. Instead of taking your word that you are a good employee/person and paying you accordingly, you are now going to have to work for peanuts and prove what you are worth.

Last edited:

This quote should give you an idea of what NOT to do.

You want to buy a new toy car/truck or something, yet you dont want to take classes until you find a job first?

So classes that teach you stuff and build you as a person = bad with no job
spending money on something you dont need when you dont have a job = good?

At the very least, pick up a few Spanish books or something.
Amazon.com FTW with 10 dollar books

I would go even farther than not buying another vehicle, and sell the very new car that you have and buy a mid 90's Civic or something. Get it for like $1000, same fuel mileage as your 07. Then take the money you are saving and take classes with that. Or just save it or invest it. I say investing ftw!

I need the job to afford to take the classes and be able to get to them. I want the beater cause I'm thinking of going back to work with my father and I really don't want to put all those extra miles on the shitvic.

Right right, but if you are making payments on an 07 Civic? That can't be cheap? Why don't you buy a car that is a step above beater, so it's semi-reliable, and sell the Civic. Relieve yourself of one large monthly obligation in lieu of not making payments. I dunno...

dude you have an 07 civic, that car was built for one thing in mind.... good mpg for people who want to drive a somewhat nice car to and from work.

put miles on it, thats what its for.

Back