To buy or not to buy

• Buy the RPF1s & throw my project budget off by some serious cash. I.e., have to wait for upgrades u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pass them both up and wait like originally plan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Well, do I go ahead and buy some brand new 18x7.5 5Zigen Hiedfeld Mesh rims and tires for the WRX or no.

They're heavier than I'd like - they're 19.3lbs without tires. I really wanted a high performance suspension setup that was all business and no style whatsoever - I was thinking about getting some 17x7.5 Enkei RPF1's which weigh 15.3lbs or some 17x8 Enkei RPF1's that weigh 15.6lbs.

Stock rims weigh 16.5lbs and they're 16x7.

Here's where the dilema lies. RPF1's are $250-$300 a wheel so $1000-$1200 new for a set of 4 plus $500 for tires. Total cost between $1500-$1700. There's a used set of 5 Gold 17x7.5 5x100 RPF1's that have been driven on for 2000 miles selling on NASIOC for $850 + shipping. If I got them for $850 shipped then my total cost after buying rubber, mounting, and balancing would be about $1400.

These 5Zigen Hiedfields are BRAND NEW with Cooper Zeon 2xs BRAND NEW rubber on them for $1000. Good deal but is it worth the money or the extra weight?

Here's what they look like.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896062

Do i meet up with this guy on Monday and buy them for $1000 with a set of lugs and the carbon fiber center caps or do I pass them up and wait on something else. I think they're a good looking rim and a good price - it would cost me atleast $1200-$1300 to buy this setup myself from a retailer - but is it worth it?

Opinions?

Those are Go-Zigen ? With the script and all it looks like they are labelled "JeldFeld" or something.

Quoted post[/post]]
Those are Go-Zigen ? With the script and all it looks like they are labelled "JeldFeld" or something.

Hiedfeld is the model

He claims they weighed 19.3lbs. Websites like wheelweights.net and renickmotor sports say 20lbs a piece.

Thats putting between 2.8-3.5lbs of unsprung weight on each corner of the car. I was hoping to shave weight. The Enkei are expensive as hell, there's 17x8 Gram Light 57 Pros - which seem to be 20lbs as well but I can't find anywhere else saying how much they weigh besides wheelweights.net - that are selling with rubber with 60% tread left, used for $1200shipped on NASIOC.

The ultimate wheel that I want is the SSR Comp but these are just so expensive that its absurd. I can't phathom spending $2500-$3000 on rims because well its not THAT important to me.

I turned down a real local guy that had a set of Rota Torques that were 17x7 that weighed in at 18lbs and only had a few thousand miles on them for $700. At the time, I thought that 18lbs was too heavy to consider because I was hell bent on shaving weight.

These rims look really good and I think they'd set the car apart because they're semi rare but I don't know how much those extra couple lbs are going to fck me.

Now you have to understand that I'm looking at 17's or 18's and they're not going to be 11-13lb wheels like on a 15in honda wheel, and I'm not going to spend insane money for the SSR Comps brand new, so the best that I'm going to do is the Enkei RPF1 in 17x7.5 @ 15.3lbs or 17x8 @ 15.6lbs.

You will never find lightweight in something over 16" until you get into the ultra exotic (And super fragile) arena of $3000 wheels.

-> Steve

You can't have everything.

Quoted post[/post]]
You will never find lightweight in something over 16" until you get into the ultra exotic (And super fragile) arena of $3000 wheels.

-> Steve

You can't have everything.

I recognized that.

Its whether or not I go for the extra $400-$600 on the Enkei which will be 1 1/2 times the price, simply because they're lighter.

Team Dynamics Pro Race 2's...nice wheels, not too expensive

18x7.5 - 18.1lbs
17x7 - 16.5lbs

prorace2black.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
Team Dynamics Pro Race 2's...nice wheels, not too expensive

18x7.5 - 18.1lbs
17x7 - 16.5lbs

prorace2black.jpg

Whats "not too expensive"?

If its only going to save me 1.2lbs or 1.9lbs over the 5Zigen and it costs $400 more than its not that cost effective.

The problem with the RPF1's is that they're used and its a set of 5 not 4 so although its a spare, its money out of the pocket right now. I had an entire budget setup where I wasn't dipping into savings whatsoever.

If you know how much those wheels will be in bronze/gold/gunmetal in a 5x100 lug pattern with an offset that would fit a '02 WRX let me know for the 17's or 18's.

There was a set of Velox rims that were super light weight but they were across the country, used, and chipped.

they only come in black, white, or silver

I had a set of Team Dynamics Motorsports, they were $114/wheel new (16") from a local wheel place....

I see the Pro Race 1 and 2's on ebay once in a while

Apparently google doesn't like them because it only comes up with UK sites that have the wheel or a spec miata.

rpf1's are dog shit ugly imo ...

so at least not those, if it was my car :p

buy some motegi trak lites and be like me, yay

Quoted post[/post]]
rpf1's are dog shit ugly imo ...

so at least not those, if it was my car :p

buy some motegi trak lites and be like me, yay

I really don't think I can find them in an offset for the WRX. 5x100 works for bolt pattern, but for a 17x7 the offset is +42 and for 17x8 the offset is +45. I don't think the +48 would fit and I'm more interested in a wider wheel than 7 inches.

They do look nice though and I have no idea how much they cost.

For 15x6.5 they're listed @ $260. I have to figure that 17x8 is probably $300 a wheel. They are very sexy looking, I like simple wheels like that and they're actually lighter than the RPF1's... I might have to look into these things but not for that price.

***I see a set listed on ebay and after shipping they'd be about $950 for 17x7's but it doesn't list the WRX as a car that they fit.

i love em. not sure on the 17's, but the 15x6.5 weigh in at 10lbs flat, the 15x7 weigh 10.5
im sure the 17x7 are under 15 lbs, which is pretty damn light for a 17.
how wide a tire you wanting? 215's would fit a 7" wheel nicely, ive had 225's on a 6.5" before o_O

ebay is gonna be the cheapest place you find them. a friend of mine managed big10 tires at the time and i got them at dealer cost. 70 bucks cheaper a piece then i could get online (even ebay) and shipping was free.

have you looked at edgeracing.com? some of the flik wheels look cool, some people hate on them, but im not sure why. i guess they are kinda like rota's as in cheap and light, but i know they have rims for wrx's.

and they have these
5zigen_fn01r-c_(hyperblack)_angle_zoom.jpg

in 17x8 to fit a wrx. and fn10rc's are sexy :wink:

gallery_20050128104626.jpg

in bronze, but you get the idea.

http://www.edgeracing.com

Quoted post[/post]]
i love em. not sure on the 17's, but the 15x6.5 weigh in at 10lbs flat, the 15x7 weigh 10.5
im sure the 17x7 are under 15 lbs, which is pretty damn light for a 17.
how wide a tire you wanting? 215's would fit a 7" wheel nicely, ive had 225's on a 6.5" before o_O

ebay is gonna be the cheapest place you find them. a friend of mine managed big10 tires at the time and i got them at dealer cost. 70 bucks cheaper a piece then i could get online (even ebay) and shipping was free.

have you looked at edgeracing.com? some of the flik wheels look cool, some people hate on them, but im not sure why. i guess they are kinda like rota's as in cheap and light, but i know they have rims for wrx's.

and they have these
5zigen_fn01r-c_(hyperblack)_angle_zoom.jpg

in 17x8 to fit a wrx. and fn10rc's are sexy :wink:

gallery_20050128104626.jpg

in bronze, but you get the idea.

http://www.edgeracing.com

I haven't looked at edgeracing.

The fn01rc's are 17lbs in 17x8 - I don't know if thats the rim you meant - and there's ones new selling on NASIOC for $680 shipped in bronze. I think they look sexy they were just heavy and a little expensive in my mind to buy them. If I was going to get something pricey, i was just going to wait and get the best deal possible and also build up the savings account.

I'll have to check out the flick series and I'll have to check out edgeracing.

I have nothing against rotas, except for the fact that they're really not THAT light weight that they're going to be saving me weight.

Lightest rota I see in 17x7 is 16.5lbs in rota actions, 17x7.5 is 16.9lbs in rota subzeros, and 17x8 is 18lbs in rota boosts. These are the *lighest* rotas I see available on wheelweights.net.

Velox had a lightweight series of racing rims that was retardedly light, i.e., 12.5lbs for a 17x7 but they stopped selling these wheels and by the time they discontinued them they had reached like $350-$400 a wheel when they were originally $200-$250

I didn't see any of the flik racing wheels on the website, but they have Enkei Rpo2's for $95 a rim which is hard to beat. They only come in silver though and I really don't know if I like that on my WRB car. Normally I don't care about looks but I don't think the rim is that great looking to begin with, so I would prefer a color that makes it look better - but it looks like only silver is left.

Just found the flik's. Weren't very lightweight in my size and they didn't have any ones my bolt pattern.

I emailed some seller on ebay about whether or not they could get 17x8 5/100 +45 Motegi Racing Trak lites, but I really should be using a +48 offset.

Quoted post[/post]]
could always get the silver enkeis and have them powdercoated... doesnt cost THAT much.

they have alot of flik's that will fit your car, just the offset is kinda off lol.

http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/flik/

Yeah and they weren't very light. For those weights I can find a better looking rim with the proper offset.

Powdercoating costs like $300 for a set of wheels and according to some, it weakens the wheels.

...but like I said, I might just buy those silver enkeis for $95 a pop since they're so light weight. I don't think they look bad, just plain. Infact, I couldn't decide if I liked the 5zigen fn01rc's when they were posted on NASIOC in bronze like the ones you posted here, but I think the Enkeis look a lot like them, except the spokes don't protrude forward and the center design on the 5zigen is a bit fancier.

Back