To chip P28 or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jarvisxl

Ok,
So I put an B16SiRII engine/Tranny into a 97 Del Sol Si (SOHC VTEC). Word is I need a chipped p28. My question is what does the chip do? Will I be able to get it to run without a chipped p28? I do plan on getting a chipped p28, but I want to
know if I can get it running on a stock ecu. Any other wiring info on this subject will be helpful.

Thanks

if you buy a chipped p28, spend the money and know what you're getting.......

I bought a spoon knockoff chip and put it in my p28 and it damn near fried the ecu.....burnt a couple of resistors and my bro(nuc79)was able to fix but trust me-getting it done right is totally worth it.....

Through my own experience and the stories of others I've learned the hard way that's it's better to save up and do it right the first time rather than go cheap to get what ya want.......

I think it was Slater from Dazed and Confused....."It's Quality, not Quantity man..."

you don't NEED a chip, the b16a2 will run on the p28.

i am assuming you are using the OBD II wiring harness and a OBD II sohc vtec ecu. The engine will run on your ecu if you've hooked up all the sensors.

You can ONLY chip pre OBD II ecu's, meaning you have to get a OBD II to OBD I wiring harness, and a OBD I P28 ecu.

what a chip does is it modifies the stock fuel curve, different vtec engagement rpm, and a different rev limit/fuel cutoff and a few other minor things.

I say just run a stock 99-00 SI ecu if your current ecu's not cutting it, if you build your motor or go turbo then you can get a VAFC, hondata or equivalent.

Back