To Guys With Zc Powered Cars

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

2fastaccord

I am going to be putting a ZC engine in my 89 CRX-SI within about a month. I was wondering how you guys out there with ZC powered CRX's and Hatch's feel about your swap and what kind of numbers you are putting down at the strip? I am talking about the 129 hp rated ZC engine.

Peace*

I am just trying to get a feel for whether or not to go with the ZC and just go B16. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peace*

seriously, go B16, there is a lot more potential for upgrades in the future, and you start with 158 hp, usually. To get the zc engine close, will cost you a lot more money. ( I crunched the numbers and went with the B16, I could not be happier :D )

IMO i look at the zc as something i can shoot the shit out of for the weekend and break by sunday morning but its cool cuz its aint expensive or hard to replace a d series motor but yes the b16 is a very healthy choice and very fun

I love my ZC. With a 89 DX sedan, it's just not worth the money to spend on a $1100 B16swap + $250-400 for mounts. But the thing's a sleeper with just the ZC & I/E....

Well, as much of a sleeper as a stock 2100lb sedan w/ stock steelies can get. :D

ZC engines are very nice if you just want to bolt up intake / header / exhaust and be done with it. You'll be lighter than the B16 guys, have just as much torque, and really not be all that short on power in comparison... plus you'll have saved a lot of money in the end. If you want to throw a ton more money into the engine to extract even more power, get the B16... otherwise drop in a ZC and be happy.

Mike hit it right on the nose when he mentioned torque. The B16 is just a ZC with a better top end--they are within 3 lb-ft of torque. For the cost of a DIY B16 install (1000 + 400 for mounts + 300 for misc. or 1700 total), you could have a ZC (500) rebuilt with hi-comp pistons (600) then have 600 left over for I/H/E or cams. With I/H/E and the pistons you could be easily at 115/155, with cams and pistons but no I/H/E probably 110-112/145, but add I/H/E and you're at 115/160, which is more torque and equal HP to that B16. plus if you break your B16, it's gonna be more expensive to fix. crack your ZC block? $100 at the junkyard from an old integra.

Back