To P28, or not to P28?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wizzkidd7188

:mad: just completed a swap on my 94 civic dx, in which I replaced the D15b7 with a D16Y8. It was a total swap; I converted over to OBD1, (dizzy, injectors, alt) and the engine harness from the D15. The car starts and runs now (with p06) but I have a few problems.
1) It runs hot (new thermostat). Checked the fuses and such but have yet to see the fans kick in.:mellow:

2) I am still running the P06 ECU (is this the problem) From reading I know that i have to get a P28 to be able to operate the Vtec but I have yet to come across one (that works). Everything I find is for automatics.
Is it the p06 thats causing the fans not to work and the car to run hot. Do i need a base stock p28 or can i chip my p06, what will be best????? :mellow::mad::mellow:

You need a VTEC ECU for sure! (P28) or have the P06 re-programmed for VTEC and a basemap for your motor (not just some chipped thing off the internet....study, search, etc)...but that's a search so I'd look into a P28 (I don't think you need it chipped)

Did you run VTEC wires through the firewall and to the ECU? they need to be connected to the P28

Thermo running hot could be an ECU thing...but I don't think so. Did you "burp" the system so there are no air bubbles in the coolant system/lines? Fan could be a relay switch or something in the wiring...you need to investigate that too.

hey thanks for the reply, seems as if no one knew anything.
Idefinitely going with the p28 whenever i can find one.
I have the wires for the VTEC but i havent run them yet due to no p28.
I tried burping the system just not sure if it worked as for the relays i will check that here in a minute, i thought it was the ecu not sending the correct signal.
Thanks again

I ran my civic for a long time, then I drained about half the coolant, then refilled it, and my temps went down about 10C.

How hot is your too hot?

Wait, you're running a larger displacement engine, with the wrong ecu.

Less fuel = running extremely lean. Lean = Hot.

He's running the wrong ecu for the engine folks. Nothing to see here.

Buy the proper ecu. The p28 is the proper obd1 ecu.

Too hot was the needle going well up into the red. Havent started it since, until i p28.
Will the ECU also cause the fans to not work, sending the wrong signal maybe? or no signal at all? I will be checking the relays and fuses again when i gt off. Fans worked good b4 the swap.

Back