Today, I had an epiphany.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

This is the best post I've seen so far, on any board. It's nice to see that despite everything we all do to live the way we do, some people still realize that all the "stuff" just isn't important. I'm not much for sailing myself, but I could do with an island. It's just that financial feasibility issue. But if you think you can swing it financially, than I don't see anything else to stand in your way. Best of luck.

-Steve

ok and i want to go to the moon.....

hurricanes? shyt sinks in the middle of nowhere? pirates of the carribean? illness?.......serious shyt

my uncle is a fishermen and tells me people go crazy sometimes w/o land

SolPWR, zaneithan and Iron1- I'm looking at a 37'- 42' sloop or yawl, and could always use a few extra hands to maintain the tub. We'll see. I thought about it more, and I think I'm looking at the spring of '05 to weigh anchor.

If you save enough money you could live for about five years in the carribean cause everything is cheap and you dont need a car, house, insurance this insurance that.

It's just that financial feasibility issue. But if you think you can swing it financially,

You guys aren't getting it. You're still thinking in that 9-5 bubble. It's like this: Shove off with a few grand and a month's worth of supplies. When you're down to about 10 days left, heave to at some island and get a job doing whatever... first job that comes up... work that, get to know the locals, see the sights, and live it up for two weeks, three weeks, whatever it takes to make enough money to buy three weeks worth of supplies... stay longer if you want, or if not, head to the next island, explore it, and either stay and work or keep going if your supplies allow further passage.

ok and i want to go to the moon.....

:nobreed: Don't be an ass head.

hurricanes? shyt sinks in the middle of nowhere? pirates of the carribean? illness?.......serious shyt. my uncle is a fishermen and tells me people go crazy sometimes w/o land

Shit has an I. Not a Y. Hurricanes- that's why you have a weather radio and a finger to the wind. Things get bad, you get the hell out. Generally, you'll have 10- 15 days of warning before the storm hits. Sinking- well, that's what daily internal inspections and weekly dives to inspect the outside of the hull are for. Yeah, they do sink once in a while, but that's part of the game. You're more likely to get run off the road anyway. Pirates of the Caribbean? Yeah, and maybe I'll run into Jack Sparrow and he'll take me to a hidden treasure of buried rum. Arrrr. Pirates do exist, but not anywhere near more populated islands, and the USCG is doing such a fantastic job that they're almost a non- concern. Almost. Going crazy- My uncle is a psychologist and tells me that people go crazy even when they've been on land their whole life. Besides, it's not like I'm going to drop anchor in the middle of the Atlantic and call it good.

B- I plan on bringing a little motorscooter and a Waverunner of some sort, and could always rent a car while I'm on an island.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Dec 21 2003, 09:55 AM
B- I plan on bringing a little motorscooter and a Waverunner of some sort, and could always rent a car while I'm on an island.

true.... but theres so much stupid bullshit involved in this.

like, permanant address?
taxes?
license?
bank?

i mean- if you don't "live" anywhere... youre going to have a bitch of a time renting a car... getting hired at a "real" job thats not under the table and all that stuff.

If you think about it though, getting paid under the table is even better for him, no taxes...all the money is his. Which means it'll take him less time to save up for his next trip to the bahamas or some shit.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Dec 20 2003, 11:42 PM
So I'm talking with my sister today who just got back from hiking Pategonia for three months, and she says to me... "Ji, you know what you gotta do? You gotta sell all your shit, go buy a sailboat, and cruise the Caribbean. Come in to port when you need food and diesel, and work at some place for a few weeks to make enough money for supplies, and then hit the high seas for the next island. Hey, bring Rosemary with you so she can speak Spanish when you need it when/ if you decide to cruise up and down the South American coasts. Maybe cut across the Panama Canal and head up to Alaska in the summer and if you're feeling ballsy, go check out the Pacific Islands and make your way down to Australia and New Zealand."

So shit, I thought about it, and goddamn, it's an idea. Yes, I know how to sail. Yes, I know celestial navigation. Yes, I have bluewater experience. And yes, I can drink lots of rum. OK, well maybe not lots, but I can drink it like it's water 'till I pass out. With a helmet on. Just think... no rent, no boss, no bullshit internet drama, no speeding tickets, no DMV, no car payments, no getting up at the asscrack of dawn to go to work... just me, my Peruvian Princess, a wallowing leadbelly, a bottle of rum, and a nice southeasterly to scoot me around the islands.

I'm really tired of the rat race, scraping to get by, worrying about if my rent check is going to clear, always playing catch up in the financial department, ect... Sure, I have a fun job now, and it pays the bills, but it's the same goddamn thing every day... get up at 5:30, get to work, work on equipment, weld shit, go take some runs on the hill, get home at six, and either drink a beer and smoke a bowl at a friends house, or come home and do nothing 'till I fall asleep and repeat the next day.

It's still up in the air, but I am weighing it heavily, and your opinion has no bearing on my final decision, but what would you do? Would you pay off all your bills (or just tell everyone to eff off), sell everything you own, buy a sailboat, and cruise the Caribbean or maybe the world for a few years or indefinetly?

make sure you make a pit stop in Redondo Beach California and we can hit the bars up in Hermosa on your way down to me-hico :D

Yeah.... I'm thinking like pissedoffsol on this one. More than likely... you will have to become accustomed to the people in order to get an 'under the table' job.... not always though. Me... I would miss driving too much.

I go to Maine every other summer and it's amazing. But I was soooo happy to get back and see EVERYONE again. I would definately cruise for a few weeks though. Good luck in 2005 Loco.

EDIT: "Life is not worth living if one cannot do what one likes most." - Soichiro Honda

1182401_9.jpg

What no vtech!!!!

if i could, i would....i say go for it and forget the stresses of everyday life....sure id miss driving and shit but youd get over that......

dont know how to run a boat but if the time is right when you deceide i might be there.

Thought about this once and this is how I would make money for supplies.

Get a boat big enough to tow three Jetski's and put two on board somehow then hit up tourist beaches and charge to ride them. Down in Cozumel they wanted like $100/hr for the jetski. not to bad make like $1500 a day plenty of money for supplies.

driving a car is fun but a jetski is so much funner! and cheaper too

not bad, I think dont know much about boats

...and if you had the money

Steal a boat.. why buy. IT's called "Piracy". You're on the mediterrean or Caribean or whatever...

When in rome.

Do these boats have internet access ? That could sway my vote greatly.

-> Steve

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Dec 21 2003, 03:27 PM
1182401_9.jpg

What no vtech!!!!

This motor kinda looks like the motor in my 1981 Celica. No really.. it does.
Ask airjockie.

-> Steve

Originally posted by civicious@Dec 21 2003, 12:23 PM
the ocean sucks.

refer to any "Boat" movies ever.

OK, well, I watched Fast and Furious to see what it was like to own a Honda. No thanks. Too much bullshit. Then I watched Top Gun to see what it'd be like to be in the Air Force. Looks good, but whach out for flat spins that happen all the time... After that, I watched Hackers to learn how to hack websites. ect...

You are a complete no brain assclown if you go by what movies show you to determine how something is like. I love the ocean. I've been out there. It's calling me.

Awesome idea, dude. Just remember: Take lots of pics and post 'em!!!

Back