1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today was a landmark day for me.

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Loco Honkey, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

I met the dumbest person I've ever met. I mean this in all seriousness. It's worse than the guy that tried to tell me his dad was an engineer at GM and said that a B16 would bolt into a Saturn. It's worse than the kid that tried to convince me that his Civic runs on JP4.

Oh yes, it's much worse...

I had a guy tell me, to my face no less, that he's an A&P and was working at an airport in Nashua, NH where a Piper 310 landed with a blown engine. Turns out that the guy that worked on the 310 last forgot to replace the oil cap on the valve cover, causing the turbine to blow oil everywhere and seize.

I think AirJockey is the only one that will really get this, so let me explain for all you ground pounders...

Piper doesn't make a 310. Cessna does. A Cessna 310 does not have turbines. Turbines don't even have valve covers, but the 310 engines, which are Continential IO-470s, do. However, the oil fill caps are not on the valve covers; they are on the right middle upper section of the engine, are screw on, and have the dipstick integrated with the cap.

I thought I could get away from this shit by playing with planes. Fuckin' A, I guess humanity in general really is idiotic.

*edit- Oh yes, A&P stands for Airframe & Power, basically aviations version of ASE mechanics, only held to a higher level of work ethic and aptitude.

2. friz

friz Senior Member

I started my working life on the automotive side of mechanics. I later moved to aviation side when I got bored with automotive. I used to be ASE certified and now hold an Airframe & Powerplant ticket. I have got to say that if I had to list the most skilled mechanics I have met. They would all be auto mechanics. This may not represent the lot, but it is my experience.

3. driverunknown

driverunknown Senior Member

:nutkick: Did you hand his ass to him?

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i really hope noone like that is working on any plane i take to get to and from wherever i go.... that scares me... :(

5. Slammed90Lude

Slammed90Lude Senior Member

6. 94RedSiGal

94RedSiGal Senior Member

How old was this idiot? If he works at an airport, shouldn't he be able to at least show you his photo security id badge?

7. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

8. Tonyd0821

Tonyd0821 Banned

:roll:

you get people like that no matter what field you are involved in....

9. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

He was in his mid- 40s. I was at a gas station and I saw the "I FLY RC" sticker on the back of his truck and started talking about airplanes. It kinda went downhill from there.

10. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

what do you call a ricer who's into planes?

11. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Good question. I think they'd be called either arrested or dead because unless you have an A&P do the modifications, it's illegal. It's also illegal if the plane isn't certified for the modification. And, if you still got it in the air and the modification wasn't thought out, you'd get dead. He wasn't a ricer, though. Just a dumbass who didn't know who he was talking to.

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

what about stickers?

can i put a DElta logo on my TWA?

13. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Sure, if you want to be sued for misusing a corporate logo. Besides, TWA is one letter away from my favorite place to be. :)

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

what are you talking about. TWA is no where near IDB

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Loco Honkey

Loco Honkey Banned

Speak for yourself. IDB is for guys with little wee wees. I'm all about IDP. :)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted