Today's B Series Myth, 0wned.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jun 19 2003, 10:09 PM

Funny you should mention the JY thing, I was at the junkyard today picking up an EX cluster for my DX and was asking about engines. They wanted like 1,000 for just for the tranny off an LS. The price gouging is starting to get pretty bad.

Jesus, I can get a complete flipped lude for 2 G's, there was a wrecked 93 GSR for $200 complete, and a LS that got stripped by one guy for $500. I am going to hate moving back to the states.

The only reason for vtec in the first place is the ability of the motor to have two personalities. Mild manners under the small lobe section, and race manners on the big lobes. For a race car, small lobes are useless anyways. The other point is that the B18C or B16 motors are built to tolerances and with reinforcement to spin the 8+k rpm. In a race, the ability to produce torque at higher rpms will always win (gearing being optimized). I'm glad there's a choice. To each their own.

the power curve is so much nicer on the gsr than it is on the ls. the ls is kinda choppy and not a linear increase. the gsr is a constant increase, and it has the potential for both low, mid and high end power, where an ls w/cams you only going to get maybe 2, low and mid, mid and high. so its really what you would prefere, the ls is also not really wanted for high rpm racing/ driving. better head deisgnes and intake manifolds.

I'm still going to trust that Honda put the better motor in their PERFORMANCE model.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 19 2003, 06:10 PM
I'm still going to trust that Honda put the better motor in their PERFORMANCE model.

:withstupid:

all i know is my friends 94 gsr civic coupe with i/h/e walks away from my other friends 93 ls hatch with i/h/e

2k on a turbo kit huh, which one and to get a turbo setup running properly its going to cost you more than just 2k

Originally posted by asmallsol+Jun 19 2003, 03:29 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Jun 19 2003, 04:20 PM
I don't know if I'd believe that. I'd guess it would depend on what stage of build you're in. Just starting out, no way. Middle of the build, yeah. All-out race, probably more. :D

Nice sig, by the way.

Karnash, you must of dug that post up from the past. I was the one who keeped on spelling it wrong so E posted that which was at least 6 months ago.

if ur talking about my signature?

it was off this thread last night when we were flaming this n00b.

if ur talking about the 100 bucks for every extra hp....i forgot where i got that?

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Jun 19 2003, 02:38 PM
looks like the gsr has a generic intake and exhaust. i've never heard of dac or sebring.

dac is the dc intake

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 19 2003, 05:27 PM
im not going to touch this one with a 12 foot pole :ph34r:

i wouldn't either if i were you.... but i kinda wanna hear where you stand on the subject now. c'mon.

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Jun 19 2003, 06:58 PM
1500 for an LS

2000 for a GSR

$500 for 25whp to the wheels isn't that bad, infact some would argue it's cheap

where are you getting a gsr for 2000? The crackheads on the corner dont count. The average price is 3000-3200 for a GOOD GSR.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+Jun 19 2003, 07:14 PM-->
Silverchild79
@Jun 19 2003, 06:58 PM
1500 for an LS

2000 for a GSR

$500 for 25whp to the wheels isn't that bad, infact some would argue it's cheap

where are you getting a gsr for 2000? The crackheads on the corner dont count. The average price is 3000-3200 for a GOOD GSR.

opps missread, my mistake. "extra two grand". Sorry never really priced them.

every motor is different...

and who knows what kind of compression that gsr motor had when it was dynoed.

i can tell you my b16a made 152 whp, and i've seen JDM b16a SiR2 motors put down 160+.

VTEC is badass technology, and its not even fair to compare an LS motor to the b16a.

I'm just happy I made a thread people respond to :lol:

And as for looking at the motors n/a only, slam the LS's compression up to over 10 or 11, and I think things wouldd get interestingly close.

No doubt on the fact that I would put more trust in the honda "performance" motor over the "baseline" motor. The GSR definitely has some internal differences (advantage), a crank girdle being one of them I believe.

btw, 92b16vx, I need to find some of the junkyards your surfing at :p

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jun 19 2003, 11:26 PM
btw, 92b16vx, I need to find some of the junkyards your surfing at :p

Go overseaes and you just might find them. :p

Back