Today's epic Fial

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

really? where? what are they hunting? a .223 caliber bullet doesn't kill much wildlife.

ARs can be chambered in anything from .22 to .50 beowulf. .223 is a pretty good round for ground hog, prairie dog and coyote and remember we are allowed to use expanding/fragmenting rounds here in the US of A.

The AR my pops just bought chambered in 6.8 SPC was used to hunt antelope in AZ and will make a damn fine Deer slayer as well. Nothing wrong with using the AR as a sporting weapon. Hell most of the popular hunting rifles through our nations history have started out as weapons of war.

5.56 (aka .223) bounces around inside the body more than you would image. If a round can kill a human I'm pretty sure they can do damage on wildlife too. We hog hunt on our property with a Colt M4, and trust me it does its job.

AR15s are good for hunting; mainly because of ergonomics and light weight.

There's too much factors as far as bullet trajectory and characteristics; though bouncing usually occurs when it hits bone. All dependent on shot placement.

Any well placed round can kill a human or "something", but that doesn't mean it's best for the job. Around here, at least, the problem with hunting mid-large game with small rounds is shot placement. Nothing like a deer running +50yds before dropping. A larger round is sort of like insurance. If you're hunting bear, then you definitely want to consider something larger. Hell shoot a bear with the .223 then you'll make use of that 30rd magazine.

Also, as stated before, the AR-15 can be chambered in different calibers. erhm, AR-10 ;) Also, there's other assault-style weapons you can hunt with(FAL, Cetme, Saiga/AK, etc.)

Last edited:
Huh? :huh:

.223 is a devastating round once it enters the body.

depends on the "body". when i hunt big game (deer, elk, etc) I use at least .308 round. i think a .223 from 200 yards wouldn't effect much.

but then again, i dont' hunt coyotes, foxes and other small game.

depends on the "body". when i hunt big game (deer, elk, etc) I use at least .308 round. i think a .223 from 200 yards wouldn't effect much.

but then again, i dont' hunt coyotes, foxes and other small game.

You think wrong.

You think wrong.

well i guess i have just never met anybody that hunts with a .223. a body shot on a huge elk just doesn't SEEM reasonable. hence why people use a larger caliber bullet when hunting.

plus you don't need an automatic rifle when hunting deer and elk. 1 or 2 shots and you are good.

Then you'll be eating lead.

200yd is actually considered the max range for deer with the .223. It's possible to go further; but I wouldn't do it.

Back