Todays Life Lesson: Comprehensive without Collision

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
Just a friendly word of advice to all the car fans on here with an older can that they dont want to pay the money for collision on.

Cliffs: Comp Insurance is cheap and covers theft,fire,etc.

You can get comprehensive insurance on your vehicle.
You declare the value of the vehicle, and the modifications.
So lets say your 1990 civic hatchback gets stolen, and you have $5000 invested in it.
You can get that money back, instead of eating the loss like a chump.
Comp covers things like weather, fire, vandalism, theft, glass.
I called geico and they told me to cover my 90 hatch for $4000 worth of modifications would cost me about $45 every 6 months.
They said "engine modifications" would not be covered.
Apparently an engine, that came from another passenger car, is ok.
Something like "nas" (a direct quote from the geico rep who had a "sweet" decked out eclipse) would not be covered.
He told me my turbo setup would not be covered as it was not road worthy? But when I explained that it is street legal he said then it would be covered.
So I'm not exactly sure what that is all about.

Legally they can not cover illegal modifications. It's not supposed to be used on the road, they can't insure it to be used on the road.

well, yea i got that part lol

i meant more along the lines of
is a DIY turbo setup really road legal?
is anything done to a car to increase HP over stock road legal?

i guess it depends on state

i know in NY any modification to the exhaust system is considered illegal and you can get a ticket

NJ the exhaust has to be below a certain decibal. My N1 didn't pass, but the Cherry Bomb Turbo did. Never tried with the Vibrant Turbo.

I've been told that any aftermarket turbo set-up is illegal in NJ(minus the street legal ones), but I've never seen one fail. They don't pop the hood and they just check the gas cap so I guess it falls under the tester's descretion.

Certain insurance companies will insure a car as a street/track car, but it's not cheap and I doubt it still covers everything.

Most insurance policies cover only OEM parts. If you have custom (legal) stuff and you want it protected you need a collectors policy. Most of those come with low rates and strict usage restrictions. It doesn't work for a daily driver.

Most insurance policies cover only OEM parts. If you have custom (legal) stuff and you want it protected you need a collectors policy. Most of those come with low rates and strict usage restrictions. It doesn't work for a daily driver.
jay leno has private automotive insurance last i talked to him..that was in 2007 i think. but he lost me on all the attorney issues that he has to go through when and if he gets in an accident. i think the attorneys hire investigators or something. but we all dont have mad bank like jay so we have to pay for insurance

Just a friendly word of advice to all the car fans on here with an older can that they dont want to pay the money for collision on.

Cliffs: Comp Insurance is cheap and covers theft,fire,etc.

You can get comprehensive insurance on your vehicle.
You declare the value of the vehicle, and the modifications.
So lets say your 1990 civic hatchback gets stolen, and you have $5000 invested in it.
You can get that money back, instead of eating the loss like a chump.
Comp covers things like weather, fire, vandalism, theft, glass.
I called geico and they told me to cover my 90 hatch for $4000 worth of modifications would cost me about $45 every 6 months.
They said "engine modifications" would not be covered.
Apparently an engine, that came from another passenger car, is ok.
Something like "nas" (a direct quote from the geico rep who had a "sweet" decked out eclipse) would not be covered.
He told me my turbo setup would not be covered as it was not road worthy? But when I explained that it is street legal he said then it would be covered.
So I'm not exactly sure what that is all about.
if i could get insurance from any company for 45 every 6-months ($7.50 per month) i would jump on it. i am 28 years old, have no accidents, no DUIs, one speeding ticket and nothing else on my record. i pay 45 bucks a month for just my mustang and i pay an extra 20 for my other rides.WTF?

jay leno has private automotive insurance last i talked to him..that was in 2007 i think. but he lost me on all the attorney issues that he has to go through when and if he gets in an accident. i think the attorneys hire investigators or something. but we all dont have mad bank like jay so we have to pay for insurance

Yeah if you have enough money and can prove it you can self insure. From what I understand it isn't a HUGE problem if you have the Cash... but then again I don't live in Cali like Leno does.

Back