Todays Life Lesson: Know Your Enemy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

not bad... seems like it would be better for people who are traveling to get an idea of shit in another town.... i looked through the towns i am usually in and i saw some of the usual spots but it was far from complete

also would be better if you didnt have to click individually through the towns to view the highway ones... thats a pain in the ass

Check out trapster. They have an app for most major phone OS's. It has audible cues and a tracks while you drive using google maps.

I have an app on my phone that alerts when you get near speed cameras or user posted speed traps.. I tried it, but it can't possibly have them all, so you can't trust it. Cool, but not cool enough.

On a related note, no one ever flashes their brights anymore when they pass a speed trap! I was reminded when someone actually did flash at me just before one of my local traps last week, and sure enough he was there. First time in years.

Common courtesy, people!!

I flash my lights and will tap my break lights for folks that are further behind me. Even if I am doing the speed limit I depress the pedal enough to activate the light switch. I live in a rural area though. I wave about 5 times on the way home. Not because I know anyone but just because that is what is done around these parts.

On a related note, no one ever flashes their brights anymore when they pass a speed trap! I was reminded when someone actually did flash at me just before one of my local traps last week, and sure enough he was there. First time in years.

Common courtesy, people!!

I flash my lights and will tap my break lights for folks that are further behind me. Even if I am doing the speed limit I depress the pedal enough to activate the light switch. I live in a rural area though. I wave about 5 times on the way home. Not because I know anyone but just because that is what is done around these parts.

:concur: on both accounts
i will usually flash my lights at oncoming or traffic behind me warning them of a cop
and rarely does anyone else around here seem to do it

On a related note, no one ever flashes their brights anymore when they pass a speed trap!

it's highly illegal. lol if a cop sees you, it's your ass, not the speeders.

but yes, i still flash my lights when i see a speed trap. but the idiots don't get it. they just flash lights back.

Flashing lights is very common up here. Used to warn oncoming traffic of upcoming hazards: accidents, huge frost-heave in the road, moose crossing the road, and yes, pigs on the road.

it's highly illegal. lol if a cop sees you, it's your ass, not the speeders.

easy to beat that one
"i was flashing my lights to say hi to someone i know"
"i thought their high beams were on"
"i didnt flash my lights, i hit a bump"
"i saw a deer at the side of the road and was giving people a heads up in case it ran out onto the street"
"i saw someone else in a (your car here) and was flashing to say hi"
"i was alerting my fellow motorists of a hazard ahead"
"i was looking for the wipers/windshield washer fluid" (works better for women than it would for men)

or my personal favorite
"fuck you"

Headlight flashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Legality
United States

In the United States, the legality of headlight flashing varies from state to state. Historically, law enforcement officers give citations for headlight flashing under three types of laws: (1) laws prohibiting a person from obstructing a police investigation, (2) laws prohibiting a person from having flashing lights on their vehicle, and (3) laws prohibiting shining a vehicle’s high beams at oncoming traffic. The specific language of each law varies by state along with courts’ holdings on whether their respective laws prohibit headlight flashing. Additionally, although not legally binding, the state driver’s manual of some states suggests flashing high beams under specific scenarios (e.g. if an oncoming vehicle is using its high beams, driver’s manuals suggest a motorist flash his or her high beams).

In Alaska, a State Trooper has probable cause to stop a driver who flashes a vehicle’s high beams based upon a violation of 13 AAC 04.020(e)(1).

In Arizona, flashing high beams or headlights is a violation of A.R.S. Section 28-942.1 (Failure to Dim Headlights).

In California, headlight flashing is legal in some situations and illegal in others. It is legal for a driver to flash his headlights to indicate intention to pass on a road which does not allow passing on the right. However, headlight flashing on multiple-lane highways is illegal.

Florida state statutes state "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway". There are some exceptions to the law, such as when a driver flashes his headlights to tell another driver that his headlights are off, but there is no exception for warning of speed traps. A ticket for headlight flashing involves a moving violation and a $90 fine.

In Maryland, police officers ticket drivers for flashing car headlights under a law which prohibits driving in a vehicle with flashing lights and laws prohibiting "obstructing a police investigation". The American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland challenges the current interpretation of the law, contending the law refers to an adjective and not a verb; automatic flashing lights on non-emergency vehicles are illegal, but the act by a driver of flashing a vehicle's headlamps is not. Though ticketing was common in the 1990s, Maryland and Washington, D.C. police say that flashing one's headlights was not against the law in either place.

In Massachusetts, the practice of headlight flashing is technically not forbidden. A clever police officer though can ask a motorist if they were flashing their lights to warn oncoming motorists of police. If the motorist says no, the officer can ask if the vehicle has defective lights--which is a violation of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 7.

In New Jersey, drivers are allowed to flash their headlights to warn approaching drivers about a speed trap ahead. In 1999, The Superior Court of New Jersey Appellate Division held that a statute limiting how far high beams may project is not violated when a motorist flashes his or her high beams to warn oncoming motorists of radar. The Court also concluded that a stop by a police officer based upon high beam flashing is also improper.

In New York, headlight flashing is not illegal. New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375 requires that headlamps "shall be operated so that dazzling light does not interfere with the driver of the approaching vehicle". In 1994, New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division held that flipping or flicking high beams at approaching vehicles is insufficient to cause the "dazzling lights" prohibited under New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375. In 2009, the New York Supreme Court held that the flashing of lights alone is not a violation of New York Vehicle and Traffic Law Section 375, that stopping a vehicle based upon that is illegal, and all evidence gather as a result of the illegal stop should be suppressed.

In North Dakota, when an oncoming vehicle is within 500 feet, high-beam flashing for any length of time (including momentary flashes) and for any purpose at night is illegal under N.D.C.C. Section 39-21-21.

In Ohio, courts have held that the act of flashing one's headlights so as to alert oncoming drivers of a radar trap does not constitute the offense of obstructing a police officer in the performance of his duties, where there was no proof that the warned vehicles were speeding prior to the warning. In another case, where a driver received a citation under an ordinance prohibiting flashing lights on a vehicle, a court held that the ordinance referred to the noun of flashing lights and did not prohibit the verb of flashing the headlights on a vehicle. In a difference case, a court held that a momentary flick of the high beams is not a violation of Ohio R.C. 4513.15 (which prohibits drivers from aiming glaring rays into the eyes of oncoming drivers).

In Pennsylvania, the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania has ruled that flashing one's highbeams during the day to warn of speed traps is legal.

In Tennessee, flashing headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a police car ahead is protected free speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

In Virginia, headlight flashing to warn of police activity is not illegal, even though other evasion techniques like radar detectors are outlawed.

In Washington, high beam flashing is illegal. Washington law prohibits flashing one's high beams within 400 feet of another vehicle, including using them to signal for any reason. Under section 46.37.230 of the Revised Code of Washington, flashing one's headlights illegally may result in a $124 traffic infraction.

In Wisconsin, the law allows a vehicle operator to intermittently flash a vehicle’s highbeam headlamps at an oncoming vehicle whose highbeam headlamps are lit.

no problem :)

for your state where it is illegal to flash for any reason, you could use the "i hit a bump that bounced my lights in a manor that made them look like they flashed" defense... or the "fuck you" defense is pretty much universal

all i was getting at is that it is not illegal everywhere... and even where it is illegal, it is often only illegal under certain circumstances... they still need to prove that you did it for the illegal reason and not any of the other reasons... or that you flashed them at all... like all tickets i would still fight it

Last edited:
Flashing lights is very common up here. Used to warn oncoming traffic of upcoming hazards: accidents, huge frost-heave in the road, moose crossing the road, and yes, pigs on the road.

bullshit asshole. we all know there are no pigs up there.
wild boars maybe, but little piggies couldnt survive. its common knowledge, stop trying to trick us.
lmao. jk.

In Tennessee, flashing headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a police car ahead is protected free speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

fuck yeah, this is a good bit of information to know. going to spread the word. lol.

in new york they write a ticket that cites a law used for plow trucks with rotating lights
no one even bothers to look up the law, or they would know it does not apply to them

Stupid ass Washington State. Its all the assholes in Seattle that came up with that bullshit. I know it, damn hippies.

I still do it, its my personal war against the man. Flashing my lights for freedom!

I need to look up the legality of shooting flares while driving.... That could be my new signal for speed traps.

speeding-excuse.jpg

Back