Tokico Blues? AGX? etc?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so i got my 90 hatch, z6 vtec swap, about to go boost and the suspension is trashed

i have already lowered it 1.5 with sprints but i am prob gonna go to a 2.5 drop

so question: anyone here running the blues with a drop?
how do they hold up? how do they ride? etc etc

and the agx's and illuminas, can you feel a diffrence between the settings?
i;m not really into the adjustables as i would NEVER adjust them, just leave them stiff as hell all the time...
but can you feel a diffrence?

There is a pretty big difference between the 1 setting and the 4 setting on my AGX's. You can definatly feel it. The ride is a lot more harsh on 4, but the cornering is amazing. On 1, it feels almost stock (but a little boucier because I'm running 300/200 springs).

"stiff as hell" can actually make you handel a lot worse.

the shock is meant to ABSORB the impact. it is NOT supposed to be used to control the ride. thats what the spring is for.

Quoted post[/post]]
"stiff as hell" can actually make you handel a lot worse.

the shock is meant to ABSORB the impact. it is NOT supposed to be used to control the ride. thats what the spring is for.

:werd: Too stiff and your tires will bounce or "chatter" on the pavement.

I am running KYB AGXs on my civic and have them on the "1" setting at all four corners. 1 is a little firmer than stock. I haven't tried adjusting them as I have had no need to... I suppose I should do it just to see.. lol.. I'm usually one of those people who has to push all the buttons on the new stuff, but just haven't felt the need to on these. "1" gives a great ride. Firm but not harsh. Perfect for haulin' my kids :thumbsup:

i have had the agx's for about a year now, and there is a difference that i can tell between all settings, i like 1 because its almost like stock, good for those long freeway drives, 2 is a little stiffer, i mainly uses it or 3 for around town driving. and 4 is less body roll of all and it can get stiff but is the best for a smoothe track course. i really enjoy em. its good to have adjustibles, because you never know if you need to make em more stiff or more soft for certian road conditions. its nice to have.

A 2.5" drop is fucking retarted, and a horrible idea in general. But if you're dead set on dropping you car to rediculous, un-useable street heights, I'd go for the strongest shock you can find. Stiff springs on the Tokico Blue's and a 2.5" drop will blow those pieces of shit out in 6 months, and fuck your ball joints. The illuminas are a little bit better choice, the AGX's aren't as good as the illuminas. If you want to drop your car that much and ride it on stiff all the time, than you should go for the Koni Yellows. They get way stiffer than the Illuminas, and the AGX's, and will take twice the amount of abuse, and have a great warranty. I wouldn't go for anything less.

But Seriously......2.5" is retarted......raise that to just under 2" and you can start to explore some real suspension options.

A 2.5" drop is fucking retarted, and a horrible idea in general. But if you're dead set on dropping you car to rediculous, un-useable street heights, I'd go for the strongest shock you can find. Stiff springs on the Tokico Blue's and a 2.5" drop will blow those pieces of shit out in 6 months, and fuck your ball joints. The illuminas are a little bit better choice, the AGX's aren't as good as the illuminas. If you want to drop your car that much and ride it on stiff all the time, than you should go for the Koni Yellows. They get way stiffer than the Illuminas, and the AGX's, and will take twice the amount of abuse, and have a great warranty. I wouldn't go for anything less.

But Seriously......2.5" is retarted......raise that to just under 2" and you can start to explore some real suspension options.

uh... you consider 2.5 as unstreetable?
2.5 on a car with no kit is perfectly streetable...
even with a kit the 2.5 are still ok for the most part...

i am running 1.5 now with a wings west kit and i'm happy with it, but not satisfied...
i had the same car last year with 2.5's and thats where its at...

Quoted post[/post]]

uh... you consider 2.5 as unstreetable?
2.5 on a car with no kit is perfectly streetable...
even with a kit the 2.5 are still ok for the most part...

i am running 1.5 now with a wings west kit and i'm happy with it, but not satisfied...
i had the same car last year with 2.5's and thats where its at...

A 2.5" drop is not not at all practical in any way, not even on the track. Without a camber kit, the civic doesn't have the adjustability to bring back the camber settings or caster back to stock like geometry, which means burned out tires, and shitty handling due to too much positive caster (makes it really hard to steer because there is too much trail). Not to mention the shit ride quality, and horrible shock and rebound properties. And with a 2.5" drop and a skirt kit, speed bumps, potholes, and large driveway lips are going to be the death of you.

Even with a Camber kit, it still doesn't make sence. For one, you'd have to dial some Toe In, or when you try and take a corner and hit a bump, you're going to rub...even with a 14" rim, with a tire diameter that is close to the spec of the tranny gear ratios. Also, because both of your front tires are Toe In, your cornering suffers again. And don't even try to take a camber kit on the track either, those things are totally unsafe for competition use.

If you're doing it strictly for looks, by all means, go nuts. BUT.....if you want any sort of increase in suspension performance, you're going about it TOTALLY wrong.

I've got the skunk 2 pro camber kit, its certified by several different agencies. Reccomended for track use.

But I will concur that 2.5 inches is a bit much for a honda. I'm rolling on 1.8/1.7 drop in my civic and LOVE it. Looks nice. Hell, if it sat 1/4 inch higher I wouldn't complain a bit.

Hondas don't have much suspension travel in the first place, and a car that is hitting bump stops all the time is going to handle and ride like shit. You would be amazed at the ride difference between 1.8 inches and 2.5 inches. It sounds minimal, but is a world of difference. every bit of suspension travel that can be saved should be saved.

Back