Tokico/GC question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Does this look right?

s4085abc61118f.jpg

I've never used sleeves, and it just looks wrong, of course I know the weight of the car is going to depress the shaft, but just confirming before I get to the shop tomorrow.

I know, the dust covers and bump stops are missing. This is just a test fit.

Oh yea, and is the distance between the top thread, and the bottom thread relative to the drop? In other words, if I lower it 1.5" on the sleeve, is that how much it is going to lower it?

Are you useing the tokico struts as well? If not I would suggest it. Useing the stock strut will cause a very bouncey ride that I am sure you will not like. If you are useing the Tokico struts and springs you will be very happy as they are a great combination. Every thing looks right other then that. Don't forget to cut the bump stop in half.

its a known fact that you loose spring Travel with sleave coil over setups. Thats all your seeing there

Ok question two, is this the right sleeve for the front? I don't think so, I think the shorter one goes on the front. The shorter ones are the higher rate.

s4085c12007543.jpg

Disregaurd above question, I got it, :p duh, nothing like just doing it and finding out right?

On a side note, using the little rubber o rings, to stabilize the sleeve doesn't inspire my confidence. I think the new plan is drive hard destroy, by JIC's, or Bilsteins, either way threaded body. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

Have any of you taken any 100mph + trips on these?

Dunno... tons of people like to use Ground Controls on the track, so you should be fine.

Fewer coils with everything else the same = higher spring rate

You WILL have some gap with lowering springs... that's what's so wonderful about having a lowered car- you don't need spring compressors anymore.

Did anyone that has this combo NOT cut your bumpstops? I am wondering about teh effects on suspension travelif the drop isn't too big.

if you dont cut your bump stops and hit a bump while your car is lowered then sometimes you will bottom out on the bumpstop. and dont use the dust covers. i used the dust covers when i first installed mine and they messed up the threads on the sleeve

Originally posted by highperboi@Apr 21 2004, 03:44 AM
if you dont cut your bump stops and hit a bump while your car is lowered then sometimes you will bottom out on the bumpstop. and dont use the dust covers. i used the dust covers when i first installed mine and they messed up the threads on the sleeve

Did you cut them (dust covers) per manufacturers directions?

I removed my bump stops w/my tokico blues/springs. Yes, I believe it's normal to have that gap, when the car settles in, you would have to hit a big fucking bump to take it off the coil.

but be SURE SURE SURE that you modify everything (bump stops, etc) to Tokicos specifications. I learned the hard way when I had a strut pop through my wheel well what happens when you don't cut the stops properly with tokico products.

no i didnt cut them... i got them used so i had no instructions so i just slapped it all together. now i dont have the dust covers.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 20 2004, 11:02 PM
I removed my bump stops w/my tokico blues/springs. Yes, I believe it's normal to have that gap, when the car settles in, you would have to hit a big fucking bump to take it off the coil.

Never remove the bump stops completely... if you ever bottom out the shock hard (shock body itself, not necessarily just the suspension), then you're going to have some serious breakage. It's not good. Leave something in there, even if it's just a quarter length of the stop. You at least have something soft to act as a secondary damper instead of straight metal to metal contact.

Then again, if you're able to bottom out the shocks against the significantly stiffer springs, and you're not lowered much at all (2 inches or less), you're hitting some serious bumps!

ok n00b question since ive never messed with my suspension... what the hell is a bumpstop? whats it look like? where is it located, what does it do? carry on :)

another thread jacking in progress, but here is your answer...the bumpstop is a little foam rubber thingy that goes around the silver part of the shock (refer to picture above)...Refer to Calesta's answer regarding the use of the bump stop.

Well, they are on. Took a little longer than I anticipated, because of having to disassemble the old ones and reassemble the new ones.

First impression is that my old shock/springs are WAY stiffer, I have the Tokicos on 5 all the way around, and dropped five turns in front, seven in back (the back is still higher than before), and still they feel softer, and body roll is annoying. The ride is definitely more suitable for daily everywhere going, and now my wife probably won't bitch, but I was expecting a lot harder ride, I guess everyone that has them and says they are hard is a wuss.

Anyway, once they settle, I am going to try different settings and getting the hieght right (fuckin' biggest pain in the ass is loosening/tightening the rear perch lock), maybe I can get something

what spring rate did you get? I have 400 in the front and 300 in the rear on my '96 civic, with Tokico Blues, the set-up is pretty stiff thats for sure.

Exactly what I have. I'm not saying that it isn't stiff, considering the drop I started with, and it doesn't rub on the cobbles stone road on post, maybe it's just a am so used to the stiffness from my old ones that these have thrown me off.

Maybe your old shock/spring combo just wasn't as well matched as your new Illuminas and the GCs. That makes a HUGE difference for feel. My car's spring rates are significantly higher than on my housemate's STi, but his car "feels" stiffer because it's so bouncy. I actually have the firmer suspension- my springs/dampers are just better matched than the US Spec STi suspension.

That's what I am thinking. Whne I was coming home, I was rocking it side to side, and I felt a lot more response, as far as front end dip and oversteer. I am going to give it s few days before making a final judgement.

One thing though, my car is infinitely quieter, less squeeking, and cricking.

Back