Tokico Illuminas or KYB AGX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
Just like the title says, which do you'll prefer/have experience with/pros/cpns? 89 CRX

Thanks

matt B)

I have the KYB w/ GC springs....get the Tokico's...

I like mine but I'd rather have the Illumina's...more adjustability & I bet the adjustment knob doesn't break like mine has!

TOKICOS!!!!!!! dont get KYB they suck pay the extra money for good parts i got toks on mine and ride smooth and perfect fit. Had KYB and hated them, my boy gotz KYB and he blew three already and is in the process of getting toks

Tokicos: pros- real performance, quility, smooth. cons-price, looks gay cause there blue :roll:

KYB: pros- price, there red!. Cons- cheap, not really performace shocks, will blow out on you, get stuck when you adjust them.

Tokicos: pros- real performance, quility, smooth. cons-price, looks gay cause there blue

mmmmmmmmmmmm I thought illuminas were white?

EDIT:
ILLumina_suspension_kit.jpg

Illuminas=adjustible

premium_performance_kit.jpg

Tokico non-adjustibles

i had KYB GR2 with Ground Control Coilver on my 94 integra. i dropped 3", the ride was great. Now i have Tokico HP with Skunk 2 coilover on my 01 prelude. it ride suck, to much bump and bouncing alot. i will change my to Ground Control soon. JUST A THOUGHT HOPE YOURS TURN OUT SMOOTH ;)

No one has anything good to say about the KYB AGX's out there????????????

i had KYB GR2 with Ground Control Coilver on my 94 integra. i dropped 3", the ride was great. Now i have Tokico HP with Skunk 2 coilover on my 01 prelude. it ride suck, to much bump and bouncing alot. i will change my to Ground Control soon. JUST A THOUGHT HOPE YOURS TURN OUT SMOOTH

Tok's bounce more 'cause there better. higher spring rate. if you wanna rice and ride low w/ a soft suspension then just turn the knob. Or you could just get crappy coil-overs like KYB.

Eh? Tokico Illuminas and KYB AGXs are shocks, not springs.

I had a set of AGXs with Eibach Pro-Kits on my car, and they were great.

I talked to a guys who has been auto crossing his Teg for three years now and I told him I was going to get the KYB"S and he told me to not because they were good but Tockico's were better. he also has ground control Coils overs. So If you want to look cool power sliding out of turn 5 with your back wheel off the ground get the tockico, that what I'll be roling with :D

Eh? Tokico Illuminas and KYB AGXs are shocks, not springs.

I had a set of AGXs with Eibach Pro-Kits on my car, and they were great.

Thanx for pointing out that stupid ass error. The point is that Illuminas are adjustable for stiffness. Firm = less roll and weight transfer but more bumps, Soft = craptastic handling but comfy ride. I like versatility. The more a car is capable of the better. Balance is key.

Originally posted by Blanco@Jan 7 2004, 12:33 AM
AGX's are adjustable on the car? :unsure:

Yes for the AGXs, not sure about the Illuminas.

Well for the Illuminas you just adjust them on the top of the strut with a screwdriver, (i should know, it's one of the few after market parts on my car).
BTW, they *maybe* ride harsh as hell on the CRX. I say maybe cause I have the EnergySuspension bushing kit and Eibach Pro Kit on the car as well and up here in the big Butte MT noone else does shit like this up here.

Adjustability is over rated. Often times you are just switching from proper dampening to underdampening, which is what makes your car feel bouncy. Underdampened does not make the ride comfy, it makes it feel like you are riding on basketballs.

Neither shock is valved to handle high spring rates or a very low drop, even at the stiffest settings.

You are much better of getting the Koni Reds (which are cheaper, and have better valving), and setting them on the stiffest setting.

Otherwise I would look into the Bilstein Sports (not HD's) or Koni Yellows.

I have tired both Tokico Illuminas and KYB AGX mated with Ground Controls, and I really didn’t like either of them Tokico is slightly better than KYB AGX. I've had the KYB AGX on my car for about 5-6 months worked ok bumpy as hell until they blew, then I went with the Illuminas those gave a decent ride lasted for about a year. Now I'm sporting Koni Reds and Ground Control with upper mounts which gives an excellent ride compared to both them, and I’ve had them over a year now, so I say go with Koni Reds and if you can go Yellows. I'm telling you, you get what you pay for, I wasted my money... I still have the KYB AGX rears if anyone wants them hahaha

Back