Too Much Oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

onceabunny

I have been online all night and I am really starting to freak out about what I did. My engine light came on. I was over due for my oil change by a month and the last time the guy said my oil was a quart low. I checked the oil stick and it really looked like it was WAY low. So I went to the store (I borrowed a friends car) and bought the 5 quart bottle of the appropriate oil and put it in...very slowly so I would not over fill it. Well, it took the whole 5 quarts! Thank goodness I did not drive the car. I thought I should let the engine 'absorb' all that oil. Well, I couldn't sleep because I was nervous about what I did, and here I am. I have read about different reasons the engine light came on. I also read that too much oil is bad and how could I have gotten that much oil in the car! Yes, I am blonde, but I think this is one of the dumbest things I have ever done. Can I undo this in some way? Thank you for any help.

why don't you check the oil level, and drain some out until it is at the level it should be?

have it towed to jiffy lube NOW. do not start the car do not drive the car. the cars oil pan is designed to hold 5 quarts of oil and still keep all the stuff lubed up properly. if there was even a hint of oil on that dip stick, 5 quarts was WAAY too much oil to put in.

as i said, if youve got it, call Triple A, tow your car to the closest shop and have them change your oil.

in the future, to add oil to your car. add a little bit (like 1/4 of 1 quart) wait about a minute (to let it drip to the bottom) and then check the oil again. if youre still low, fill some more. check continuiously.

make sure you are giving your car about 5 minutes after driving to check the oil (so that all the oil that was sucked up into the pump is drained back into the pan) and make sure its on flat ground (so you dont get an incorrect measurement).

oh my.....

yea, drain it and start over or have it towed...

is this a joke?

ooh and TTIWWOP

Go get another 5 qts of oil, drain the car yourself, let it empty completely, change the filter while you are at it, then put 4.5qts back into it, drive and smile. Screw jiffy lube and screw the tow company, None of that is needed.

mmmmhmmm....thats wishful thinking.

Back