Tool Time

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

What kind of tools will I need to drop in my b16? I know i'll need a cherry picker and jacks and stuff. Will I need an impact wrench or anything else? Thanks for the help.

-Kai

other then your normal hand tools, you will need
-a 32mm socket (I ended up buying an impact grade socket just since that axle nut is really on there good) for the axle
-Good breaker bar (get a craftsman in case it breaks)
-Trq wrench
-A long pipe (use as a cheater bar to get more leverage when pulling the axle nut)
-Engine Leveler
-Cherry Picker
-Good Jack
-4 Jack stands
-Hub puller (rent it at autozone)
-Either Pickel fork, or tie rod puller (basicly a small hub puller for the ball joints)
-Good prybar
-Lots of 10, 12, 14, 17, and the actional 19 mm sockets
-Soldering Iron (I bought one for like $15)
-Pin out tool (check out radio shack for this) I actually did not use one of these since my freind helped me with the wiring and he has worked as a car equiptment installer for 4 years, so he was good with that.
-8mm Pin Punch (for the bitch pin)
-4lb sledge hammer (for the bitch pin)
-dead blow hammer
-Monkey wrench (to seperate halfshaft, put the monkey wrench between the axle and the halfshaft, when it is out of the car, then give it a swift kick. Works great)

Also, if your doing the clutch,
your going to need one 10 mm 12 pointed socket, and one 17mm 12 point socket for the flywheel bolts, and pressure plate (I did not have a 17mm 12pt, so I had to go out and buy one in the middle of doing my clutch)

and the most important tool of all, HELMS SHOP MANUAL. You need this so much.

I did my entire swap without any air tools, however, If I had them, it would have made some jobs SOOOO much easier. However, I still was able to complete the swap in 3 days so, doing it with hand tools is not that bad. However, If you know anyone with air tools, some of the jobs that make it so much easier is removing the axle nuts (they are on there trq at 135ftlbs) and removing the bitch pin. With the bitch pin, on honda-tech, eveyone says that it only takes them about 20 seconds to remove it when they use an air hammer.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 23 2003, 02:09 AM
by cherry picker do you mean hoist?

cherry picker is an engine hoist.

A hoist is something that lifts the entire car. (If you have one of these, it would make alot of the jobs 10x easier.)

Screw the ball joint pickle whatever the hell. Just take off the nut and hit the side of the thing with a hammer and it will come off. If not hit it harder. If still no workie get bigger hammer!

32mm for hub nut
19 for lugs
17 for suspension and engine mount bolts
Engine leveler and Cherry picker
10 mm for misc
12 mm for misc
14 mm for exhaust and misc
A punch to remove your bitch pin from your shift linkage (tranny side)
Hammer (like I mentioned above)
Floor Jack
2 Jack Stands
IMPACT GUN AND IMPACT SOCKETS!
Air Compressor to Run the gun
WD-40 For those not so happy bolts

Good Ideas:

Drain all fluids from your car before taking the engine out. Engine Oil, Tranny Oil!, and Coolant.

DO NOT FORGET TO DENT THE DS FRAMERAIL TO ACCOMODATE FOR THE ALTERNATOR!

When In doubt remove it! Just get it out of the way

Get some Degreaser and some soap and clean that nasty ass engine bay before putting your b16 in. If you b16 is dirty in anyway clean it too.

Unless your already multiport have a harness made for your car. This is not the cheapest way to go, BUT it saves a lot of time.

Advice:

When removing the Motor mount attached to the rear crossmember of your car, you will notice that the back bolt is a freakin whore to get out. Take the front 2 bolts out and smack the mount to either side to access the other bolt.

Swear a lot and direct it to your old engine. Smile and hug your b16 and pat it on the valve cover every once in a while.

PM me if you have anymore questions. Ive done the swap like 2 times now and am getting the hang of it.
:D

Originally posted by Whitewrx02@Dec 24 2003, 10:29 AM
Screw the ball joint pickle whatever the hell. Just take off the nut and hit the side of the thing with a hammer and it will come off. If not hit it harder. If still no workie get bigger hammer!

that shit doesnt work, and the damn pickle forks suck, i always end up breaking the ball joint by the time i get the damn thing separated.

Back