tools...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

riggs

ok guys so im looking for inexpensive reliable tools. my grandma wants me to go to harbor freight but when the tools are 120 piece set for 30 bucks it sounds TOO good. anyways i cant give a definate price range but im looking for at least a couple ratchets with 3/8" and 1/2" drive sizes and sockets, wrenches, basic hand tools. i wouldnt mind buying from harbor freight except that im going to be using tools for a job and would rather not have them break. but ive only ever worked with matco and kobalt tools so i dont know good deals. thanks guys.

Harbor freight has some pretty good stuff an if you buy the higher end ones (few bucks more) they do come with a lifetime warranty, however I'm not sure how hard it is to get new tools if something breaks.

The way I do it.

1 set of craftsmen
2nd set (for using as a hammer) harbor freight.

Having two sets of tools makes life a lot easier. With places like Harbor Freight it makes it easy to do.

For the record I've never broken a single harbor fright wrench or socket. I have broke many of their screw drivers and other "handled" tools. They tend to snap or slip.

If its local. go for it. slowly save up for the higher priced tools and slowly change your main tools (harbor freight) into the 2nd set.

probably 1/4 of my stuff is from HF, works great.

true that thanks guys nice to see people willing to give advice.

shitty tools are better than no tools.

Except when they break causing you to slice your arm open.

I have had luck with Husky tools, not so much with craftsman. The only good thing with craftsman is when you break them its easy to get a replacement.

With Harbor Freight if it looks cheap it is. Their multisized drill bits that look like a triangle (I forgot the name of them) are good for the price.

Another thought with the tools is instead of buying a 120 piece kit, buy a smaller, better quality kit with the tools you will need. Then as you get more money buy more tools. You will waste more money buying cheap tools and their replacements than just buying a good tool in the first place.

I have also heard good things about duralast from autozone and good replacement policy.

thats a good point. see im going to be using them alot. like i said its going to be for the workplace and the first check can cover tools but id like things that arent gonna break every other time i use them. but for now if HF can get me to the first paycheck im good with that if not then i learned a lesson.

A good 3/4ths of my tools I use everyday for work are from HF. I love that place.

if you are going to be using them for work, like a legit job not doing stuff around your house, harbor freight is not the answer. Call me a snob but i like my snap on tools, the only thing i have that is not are my sockets cause they are easier to get replaced at sears. Every harbor freight tool i have bought pretty much sucks and its the truth ya get what ya pay for. just my opinion though

yea but im not looking for snap on tools. i know their price and as great as they are i cannot afford them. alot of people have told me to stay away from craftsman. i hear they use to be the really good back in the day but they just dont hold that rep anymore. i never had a problem with kobalt other than an occasional slip while taking apart an engine.but i shared those tools with a bunch of 1st year auto students so they were never taken care of. and matco i only used once and never had a problem.

jeffie i like your idea because i do not have the money for professional tools right now and i need to start an investment somewhere and i cant make money without tools for a job. so simply crappy tools are better than no tools. i will just have to be careful and respect the limit of the tools im using.

thats a good point. see im going to be using them alot. like i said its going to be for the workplace and the first check can cover tools but id like things that arent gonna break every other time i use them. but for now if HF can get me to the first paycheck im good with that if not then i learned a lesson.
Start with Craftsman and go from there. Sears is open 7 days a week and guarantees the tools they sell. They are good quality. Not the absolute best, but overall good stuff.

When you buy quality, you only buy once.

HF tools are ok for around the house, if you're not serious. For work, no way - junk. I have a couple of Harbor Freight & Northern Tool pieces in my inventory. Engine Hoist is from NT, Hydraulic Press from Grizzly, and 3/4" drive pnuematic impact gun is from HF. Not sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers. I use Craftsman, Husky, Cobalt, Snap On.

You get what you pay for.

Again, starting at Craftsman is a good place. They have lots of good tool sales on sets. Also the return & discontinued item table has many time some great deals - especially on tool boxes.

alright ill look into it. im still doing some research to form my own opinion. do the hoist and impact work good from HF? im thinkin about getting some later down the road for personal use.

Another vote for Harbor Freight.

Especially things like air tools. If you try to use them every day for work, you won't get a year out of them. If you only use them once or twice on the weekends at home and take care of them, they'll last almost forever.

It might be worth it to go somewhere slightly better for drill bits and other wear-item things, but Harbor Freight is definitely a place to go for certain tools.

well im lookin more at sockets and stuff to do tire changes and oil changes im going to work in an auto shop just learned my high school training was ASE certified.:D

Start with craftsman, but smaller items you won't use as much from HF, but be careful what you buy. Ask me about a one-swing hammer, and a pry-bar that BROKE.

Snap, Mac, Cornwell and Matco are great but only for things you use constantly and every day. I work in a high-end dealer and I have a complete mix of tools from everywhere. Most of my smaller 1/4 and 3/8ths sockets are craftsman, husky or gearwrench. If you can, shop some pawn shops, used tool dealers or flea markets for used Snap On or higher end tools.

alright ill look into it. im still doing some research to form my own opinion. do the hoist and impact work good from HF? im thinkin about getting some later down the road for personal use.
For your gun, since you're going to use it at work I still suggest Craftsman. And keep a bottle of automatic tranny fluid in your tool kit so you can lube it every morning before the day starts. It will last much longer that way. Harbor Freight stuff is for home use, occasional use not for professional use.

The Pawn Shop idea above is a very good one too. I have a few tools I picked up at a great price.

Also, congratulations on your ASE Certifcation my young brother and Welcome to the working world!!!

Start with craftsman, but smaller items you won't use as much from HF, but be careful what you buy. Ask me about a one-swing hammer, and a pry-bar that BROKE.

Snap, Mac, Cornwell and Matco are great but only for things you use constantly and every day. I work in a high-end dealer and I have a complete mix of tools from everywhere. Most of my smaller 1/4 and 3/8ths sockets are craftsman, husky or gearwrench. If you can, shop some pawn shops, used tool dealers or flea markets for used Snap On or higher end tools.
That's absolutely the ticket - good advice and well stated.

I too have tools from all kinds of sources and the name brands. Also have broken plenty of junk. Mostly gear/wheel pullers. I won't buy wheel/gear pullers from Harbor Freight any more - they are junk.

Back