Top Speed - Who's Done It?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohcslammer

So, what's the fastest you have ever gone in a car? List the car, speed, and circumstances...
;)

My stock 1996 Accord Ex with Intake... 137mph.... i hit some kind of fuel cut or governor or somethin, the car just lost power and RPM's went down. I was goin down a slight hill tho, a reallly strait stretch, so that helped.

With my old F22B1 (Accord EX): I-25, 4 people in the car, 125 mph.
With my H22A: So far, only to the JDM fuel cut....115 mph. I was in 4th, still pulling REAL hard, so I'm curious as to how high I can go with no speed governor.

That was a good trip... Watching Nate beat on his hurt knee with the laptop screen after he had bogarted the front seat and the laptop for almost 9 hours straight was hilarious (too bad we couldn't laugh then). But nothing will beat the Long Island Iced Tea that my Uncle handed us when we got in, then stumbling to My Brother's Place for dinner with my tea totaler grandparents. :lol:

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jun 4 2003, 12:50 PM
Mmmmmm Foxy's... When are you coming down again? We need to go by there.

B(.)(.)bs and :beer: ? I'll be there in 10 hours.

del sol si before the swap - 125 (redline in 4th gear when i went to 5th gear i lost speed)
del sol si after the swap - 132? (no markings after 130 looked like 132 ish i was behind bill going to CRX-YEMs house to help with his suspension)
mazda mx3-gs - 135 (wanted to see where it tops out, but it doesnt feel remotly stable above 115 and it got scary so i slowed down)

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Jun 4 2003, 03:01 PM
160 and some change in a corvette z06. i got scared and shut it down.

<_< Hmmmmmm....

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 4 2003, 02:55 PM
del sol si before the swap - 125 (redline in 4th gear when i went to 5th gear i lost speed)
del sol si after the swap - 132? (no markings after 130 looked like 132 ish i was behind bill going to CRX-YEMs house to help with his suspension)
mazda mx3-gs - 135 (wanted to see where it tops out, but it doesnt feel remotly stable above 115 and it got scary so i slowed down)

Doesn't a del-slo si have the D16z in it? If so... wow. My D16z hauls ass. :p

yup the D16Z6 will hit 125 sitting on the redline in 4th gear
you can get there but it has to be pretty much flat and dont bother with 5th gear it just doesnt have enough to pull it at that speed... i would drop 5-10mph when switching into 5th gear... Brian didnt believe me untill i had him do it in his car :)

140 in a vaxhaul cavialer on the way to Icons in Norwich (UK), couldn't keep it up that long though as roundabouts keep your foot near the brakes.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jun 4 2003, 03:37 PM
yup the D16Z6 will hit 125 sitting on the redline in 4th gear
you can get there but it has to be pretty much flat and dont bother with 5th gear it just doesnt have enough to pull it at that speed... i would drop 5-10mph when switching into 5th gear... Brian didnt believe me untill i had him do it in his car :)

Huh. My D16z pulls all the way in 5th. Well, I haven't gone ALL the way, but I have done the 4th to 5th shift and it kept pulling. 4th gear at redline is @ 110 - 120 in my car tho... I think. Now I'm all confused. :D My girlfriend's '01 'lude does 145 redlined in 5th gear. Mine is geared lower (higher?) so I'm at like 4 grand in 5th at 120. Wait, 4.5 grand? I can't remember. Anyway, I think I can pull redline in 5th in my D16. It's far from stock but no internals. (Ecu and injectors don't count right?) I have a '93 SI tranny. (Supposed to be the same as '94 EX) Can anyone figure out how fast 7k in 5th on an ex/si tranny should be? Maybe I got a wierd tranny instead of the SI. I know that the end of second (a little past redline ;) ) takes me to 60mph. I can pull 85 - 90 out of third. So, what is my theoretical top speed? Computer geeks needed!! Hey B.... j/k :lol: :lol:

150mph in my Civic, driving back into Oklahoma at 7am on northbound 81.

The car was rock stable and pulled all the way to 150, but I didn't want to keep pulling past 8000rpm in 5th gear, so I let off. I did the run twice just to be sure I wasn't dreaming. I calculated the actual speed with real gear ratios, revs verified by my VAFC and the actual tire size- it came out to 150mph @ 8200rpm, which is exactly where I was before I shut the run down.

The CRX has been up to 125mph (6200rpm in 5th gear) while driven in anger, but I shut it down because I didn't want to kill another engine as a result of chasing someone that pissed me off. I know it will go higher, but the car isn't stable enough yet for me to want to try.

sohcslammer- if you can get me your gear ratios (including final drive), tire size, and real engine speed at your max- I can calculate your real speed for you.

<_< I didn't want it to come to this... I'll check my tranny code when I get home. It's right by the engine code right? Hopefully with the tranny code one of you geniuses can figure out my FD. Calesta, I have 205-40-17s I think. :fr: (Saved ya the trouble.) It's the 5th set of wheels this car has seen so I can never remember what's on it right now. I'm pretty sure they are wack-ass Kumhos tho. I'll check the tires and tranny when I get home.
For arguments sake, let's say I DO have a stock '94 EX tranny with 205/40/17 tires and I'm at 5k in 5th. How fast am I going?
(See, high school WAS important!) :p

Ok, assumption:

You have an Si transmission- the EX supposedly has a different 5th gear.

Info:

The transmission code really doesn't mean anything- it's a chassis code, not a transmission code. It's really just an indicator that might tell you what transmission it might be, based on what chassis it was bolted into.

Another assumption:

EX/Si
1st-----3.250
2nd-----1.900
3rd-----1.250
4th-----0.909
5th-----0.750 for Si HB and Del sol Si
or------0.702 for 2 dr or 4 dr sedan
Final Drive---4.250

With all this... running those ratios and your 205/40/17 tires, you would be running:

109.46 mph @ 5000rpm (5th gear)
153.25 mph @ 7000rpm (5th gear)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back