Torched Springs?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stud4u2c17

i have an 89 CRX HF, and i was wondering if Mapp Gas with a blow torch could torch the springs... i know that alot of you are going to be liike screw that go out and spend 500 on coilovers, i dont have an extra 500 for springs when i am savin up for a ZC motor, my car is virtually stock i want to lower it a little bit , not no 2 or 3 inches, i was wondering if it would even do anything to my car.. if its difficult... thanks
TJ

It will ride like shit. Just spend the $150-$200 on lowering springs. Hell, if you aren't interested in performance Sprint makes a line of springs that is around $100.

LSvtec is right. The way it works is you heat the spring while you have it compressed until it stays compress. You have in fact ruined the metals integrity. Buy some springs on Ebay or something. It blows my mind that people are willing to skimp on a part that is only three pieces away from what keep s them on the road but the think they are going to do a swap. Hondas are dangerous when people do stupid shit to try and be cool. btw I believe MAPP is not hot enough.

dont heat the springs if you do any thing cut them with a bandsaw if posiable if not cut them with the torch not compress and heat also if you cut with a torch try to keep as much of the spring in ice cold water to try and keep some of the integrity of the spring i heated the springs on my ranger and bought new ones and cut them with bandsaw that is your best bet the general rune is 1-2in per coil just please dont heat them you might as well just take them out instead of heat them

Don't even cut them. If you can't do it the right way, why ghetto it?

Dammit...i wish someone would have told me something was wrong with my sprint springs 4 years ago when i bought them. hmmmm? The only thing I have noticed is that the pretty blue paint is starting to come off. I kind of like them actually. Granted they arent Tein or anything but still. 2.5 drop and minimal camber wear and a decent ride, still handled pretty well. Maybe I missed the memo. :rolleyes:

Back