1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

torque mounts- am I missing something??

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by stmotorsports, Aug 26, 2008.

1. stmotorsports

stmotorsports Senior Member

ok, so this is seriously like the 6th or 7th car I've seen like this where the bolt that goes thru the torque mount is too small in diameter or the mount itself is too large so there is a huge gap between the two. Some of the cars I've messed with have obviously been previously swapped and/or otherwise messed with so i just chalked it up to someone replacing the mounts with the wrong ones, but a couple have been almost 100% stock including the latest which is my bone stock 96 gsr. Although I suppose someone could have always replaced broken/worn mounts with the wrong ones especially if something is listed wrong in the HPC which I think we've all come across

anyone??

Attached Files:

2. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

You aren't missing anything, that is ghetto stuff right there.

3. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

I've never heard of that problem but that mount was obviously gutted and filled with polyurethane. You should also have M12 sized bolts.

4. stmotorsports

i have to admit i'm the one that did the urethane, i know its ghetto but i've done it before on a few of my own cars as a better alternative to the inserts and it has always seemed to work out well, it just looks like shit until (if) you want to bother and shave it all smooth and make it look nice

like i said i was far more concerned about the id/od discrepancy which basically renders the tq mounts useless

i'm just surprised that i've found the exact same thing on countless different cars now

5. stmotorsports

i have to admit i'm the one that did the urethane, i know its ghetto but i've done it before on a few of my own cars as a better alternative to the inserts and it has always seemed to work out well, it just looks like shit until (if) you want to bother and shave it all smooth and make it look nice

like i said i was far more concerned about the id/od discrepancy which basically renders the tq mounts useless

i'm just surprised that i've found the exact same thing on countless different cars now

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

:yes:

7. stmotorsports

u mean the actual stud that goes thru the mount on each side?

8. YBLEGAL

YBLEGAL Regular Member w/ Cheese

Yup. Honda factory would be M12 100mm Fine Pitch (generally) ^_^

9. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

on the mitsubishis there is one torque mount that has a small bolt through a large sleeve for shear. it shears in a front end impact so the motor rotates up or down and doesnt go through the firewall.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted