torque that baby

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PhyRe

alot of people come on here and say o i have such and such a car with blah blah motor and what can i do to get xxxxxxwhp. most of the time there goals are resonable. now my ? is, is it reasonable to have a torque goal instead of a hp goal.
i saw in someones sig that " horse power sell cars torque wins races" or something like that and it got me thinkin. are there more torque friendly upgrades that can be done. in know if you are going n/a 4-2-1 header give you low end but thats the only thing i can think of. and i know a turbo gives you nice hp and tq but is there something that just gives ass loads of tq.
i love my job it gives me time to think bout shit like this

horsepower is a function of rpm and torque.

rev higher, and you'll make more power (provided the torque doesn't fall off)

hp = (tq X rpm) / 5250

if you want a torque monster- buy something that redlines before 5250.
hp and tq will always be the exact same at this rpm.

buying a part just for torque is impossible, unless it only is functional below 5250rpms.

quite frankly, its stupid.

ok. that makes sence why no one has said anything about it befor. thanks

Displacement

so why does the k20(jdm) have more tq than h22(usdm) (just something i was think bout at work)

Originally posted by PhyRe@Nov 17 2004, 04:17 PM
ok. that makes sence why no one has said anything about it befor. thanks

Displacement

so why does the k20(jdm) have more tq than h22(usdm) (just something i was think bout at work)
[post=418374]Quoted post[/post]​

tuning!

a good tourque bolt on but expensive, simple enough....supercharger, instant hp and torque, but when you are dealing with honda motors, high torque numbers arent usually a goal! lol

atleast you are thinking a bit outside the box, that never hurts! :D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 17 2004, 11:24 AM

hp = (tq X rpm) / 5250

buying a part just for torque is impossible, unless it only is functional below 5250rpms.

[post=418245]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd like to amend this a little bit.

Adding torque can be accomplished by increasing displacement, increasing compression, or force-feeding an engine compressed air.

While revving higher does indeed give you torque for those extra rpm's, it only does it for THOSE rpm's. Simply revving higher does not increase torque. Adding torque (by the means mentioned above) will give you more torque throughout the powerband.

You don't need to buy something that redlines below 5250 to have a torque monster. Look at the WRX STi. 300 ft-lbs of torque, 300 horsepower, and it redlines at about 7000 rpm.

B, you're right, buying something ONLY for torque is impossible. Because increasing torque will also increase horsepower accordingly. However, your statement about torque only being functional below 5250 rpm isn't true.

Torque is force - mass x acceleration, or in the rotational sense, mass x (velocity^2)/r. Horsepower is work - an integral of force (or is it a derivative?). Anyway, torque is how much "oomph" an engine can produce. Horsepower is how long an engine can apply that force (throughout the powerband).

I think this guy is asking, can he increase the torque of his engine, instead of just buying the piddly bolt-on parts that either help an engine breathe better (usually increasing horsepower) or just move the powerband around.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord+Nov 17 2004, 06:32 PM-->
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 17 2004, 11:24 AM

hp = (tq X rpm) / 5250

I'd like to amend this a little bit.

Adding torque can be accomplished by increasing displacement, increasing compression, or force-feeding an engine compressed air.

While revving higher does indeed give you torque for those extra rpm's, it only does it for THOSE rpm's. Simply revving higher does not increase torque. Adding torque (by the means mentioned above) will give you more torque throughout the powerband.

You don't need to buy something that redlines below 5250 to have a torque monster. Look at the WRX STi. 300 ft-lbs of torque, 300 horsepower, and it redlines at about 7000 rpm.

B, you're right, buying something ONLY for torque is impossible. Because increasing torque will also increase horsepower accordingly. However, your statement about torque only being functional below 5250 rpm isn't true.

Torque is force - mass x acceleration, or in the rotational sense, mass x (velocity^2)/r. Horsepower is work - an integral of force (or is it a derivative?). Anyway, torque is how much "oomph" an engine can produce. Horsepower is how long an engine can apply that force (throughout the powerband).

I think this guy is asking, can he increase the torque of his engine, instead of just buying the piddly bolt-on parts that either help an engine breathe better (usually increasing horsepower) or just move the powerband around.
[post=418419]Quoted post[/post]​

:yes:
sohcslammer
@Nov 17 2004, 01:22 PM
Displacement
[post=418243]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Nov 17 2004, 06:32 PM
[post=418419]Quoted post[/post]​

that's what i was trying to write, but i did a piss poor job at it, huh? lol

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 17 2004, 09:21 PM
Thank you Chris. I was going to spew all over Brian's post, but you prevented me from doing so. :)
[post=418560]Quoted post[/post]​

You woulda just flamed him really hard and then banned him. :calban: We like Brian, so I thought I'd kinda just slap him around a little. :D

Originally posted by hcivic.com+Nov 17 2004, 10:45 PM-->
if you want a fast car with loads of torque go get a v8
[post=418610]Quoted post[/post]​

As I said, this isn't necessarily true. The turbo boxer engines found in the WRX and WRX STi can produce gobs of torque with just a few minor bolt-ons and some good tuning. The WRX comes with 217 ft-lbs at the crank from the factory....about 170 wheel torque. I put another $2000 in to it (this includes the tuning), and I pulled about 262 wheel torque out of it (all on the factory TD04 turbo). Additionally, this torque occurs around 3000 rpm, and doesn't drop off appreciably until around 6000 rpm. The STi is capable of even more, with a larger block, better flowing heads and a larger turbo. Subaru did a great job of sizing the factory turbos to deliver lots of torque early on in the RPM range.

pissedoffsol
@Nov 18 2004, 07:46 AM
:pissedoffban:
[post=418659]Quoted post[/post]​

No way man. I was a moderator of the "C-Series" forum back in the dizzay. I've got a "no-ban" clause in my contract.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Nov 17 2004, 11:41 PM-->
naw, i'd rather just make this website work and stuff :D
[post=418586]Quoted post[/post]​

That works. :)

dohcvtec_accord
@Nov 18 2004, 09:36 AM
You woulda just flamed him really hard and then banned him. :calban: We like Brian, so I thought I'd kinda just slap him around a little. :D
[post=418656]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, that's cool. I think he needs more of that. ;) You saved me a lot of typing anyway- I no doubt would have been a lot more verbose with my explanation and confused a lot of people. :lol: :(

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 18 2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that's cool. I think he needs more of that. ;) You saved me a lot of typing anyway- I no doubt would have been a lot more verbose with my explanation and confused a lot of people. :lol: :(
[post=418780]Quoted post[/post]​

dohcvtec_accord - The stupid version of Calesta. :D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Nov 17 2004, 01:24 PM

hp = (tq X rpm) / 5250

I might as well just follow this up . . The only reason Vtec motors make ANY power is because they have a "linear" torque curve. I.E. their torque numbers might not be much, but multiply em by 8.2k rpms and you get a "quick" car that gets decent gas milage.

Exactly. Honda engines breathe very well from the factory, which is one of the reasons they can rev so high and still make power. VTEC only helps that. You can rev a Grand Am to 6k RPM, but you won't be making any power. :lol:

Back