Total loss of power at speed......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90B16a1si

OK, B16a si hatch, obd0. The car has been having a few issues. There is this fuel cut past 7k and the car has been surging once its warmed up and driven at a constant speed. Well, yesterday, it started to die about every three miles. It acts like it has run out of fuel for about 10 seconds, still idles, but then revs back up again. Thankfully, when I refilled the tank, it runs ok now again. I went home and ordered a Walbro.

So,
full tank runs pretty good.
two gallons down, starts to pulse at a constant speed.
eight gallons down, dies every few miles.
a fuel system with probably 210K on it, priceless.

I am going to replace the fuel pump and fuel filter (although it looks new) but I am not sure if its going to need a new fuel tank. I really hope not.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a failing fuel pump causing surging/pulsing at speed?

Are you talking about your intank filter or your inline filter?

If your intank filter looks new after 210k miles you are having some insane kinda luck.

I haven't taken the pump out yet, just limping along until I get time. I think the inline was replaced when they hacked this car up.

id be willing to say its your intank filter, but no worries, the walbro pump comes with a new intank filter.

I think I will just remove all filters to give me a performance boost. All that filtering is bound to loose tons of power. Plus, my engine ain't no wuss, it can take it straight up! Crunch that s**t up!

I kindda experience a similar situation. when i first instaledl my fuel regulator and wabrol intank fuel pump my car would died every now and then, like not enough fuel to feed the engine, but in fact, I had my fuel regulator set at 60 psi and when at WOT, the fuel regulator gauge would go all the way to 70 psi, and this is too much fuel for my all motor thats why the car kept dying on me. we reset it at around 42psi when dyno. Another thing that happend was, after filling the gas tank all the way up and drove the car for half the life time of what normally would takes to empty the gas tank, my fuel gauge indicated low on fuel, I found out the wabrol fuel pump filter wasnt turn all the down to its maximum (lower point in the fuel tank)

Turn your AC off. My civic tends to lose 90% of its power when the AC is on.

I tried to turn the ac off but I couldn't find it in my shed. The windows go down and the sunroof opens, so ac is redundant.

Car runs great now, idle is high and it still cuts out after 7k but much smoother. Fuel pump sounds like an alarm going off though. Stereo fixes that.

Ordered a new exhaust and its already paid for, which is a good thing because the motor went out on our minivan (nissan engine with 62K!) so party is over for a while. And I could taste that S2k.

Quoted post[/post]]
I tried to turn the ac off but I couldn't find it in my shed. The windows go down and the sunroof opens, so ac is redundant.

Car runs great now, idle is high and it still cuts out after 7k but much smoother. Fuel pump sounds like an alarm going off though. Stereo fixes that.

Ordered a new exhaust and its already paid for, which is a good thing because the motor went out on our minivan (nissan engine with 62K!) so party is over for a while. And I could taste that S2k.
if your car cuts out at 7k, I would look into getting new spark plugs. might as well get the cap and rotors, and wires too.

Spark plugs, etc are pretty new, but I should definitely check them.

I think I will just remove all filters to give me a performance boost. All that filtering is bound to loose tons of power. Plus, my engine ain't no wuss, it can take it straight up! Crunch that s**t up!

wow, just wow

those filters are NEEDED. do NOT remove them.

your car is how many years old? im sure there is more than just gas in that tank.

Back