Total newb mistake...Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I am doing a rear disc conversion and I am finding out that I may have messed up my caliper. I know it is a newb mistake, but now I know and I just need to know how to check and see if I indeed ruined my caliper. I pressed in on caliper with a c-clamp...I only pressed it a tiny bit and I only did it to one caliper. I have tried screwing them in and out and they seem to go just fine (no sticking or binding). What can I do to verify that the one is still ok.

short of hooking the caliper up to a brake line and pressing the pedal to see if the caliper closes, im not sure how you would test that

just make sure you put the pads on and a rotor between them or else you can fuck up the caliper by pushing it out too far

someone else may have a better idea :)

i had the same problem with one of my rears...take a pair of needle nose pliers, put them between the grooves on the piston, and turn clockwise until it bottoms out. i tried and tried with a c-clamp too but screwing them is the best way to go. chances are, your caliper is OK....mine were all pitted and shitty-looking so i just got a new one....$52 at autozone with a $50 core.

yeah I got them screwed in...no problem there...I just had to use a c-clamp to get one of them off to change the pads. I guess I will just have to hook them up and see what happens.

Back