Touch-up paint

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bcman

my trunk has developed some scratches from transporting mountain bikes on a rack. Does anyone have any advice for blending the touch-up paint as seamlessly as possible?

use a fine brush, take your time and if you apply too much take some 1500 grit paper then wetsand and buff.

Originally posted by xyswany@Jan 23 2004, 08:55 PM
use a fine brush, take your time and if you apply too much take some 1500 grit paper then wetsand and buff.

:werd: :withstupid: but actually even if u don't apply too much, buff it out after anyways to make it blend in more, use a lil bit of rubbing compound too.

yeah i had a similar issue, but my car is all primered up, now. My solution was a yakima roof rack, got it cheap off ebay. BTW nice road bike in the avitar, what is it? It looks like a Klein or a Trek, but it is too small for me to see, I am currently rocking a Klein Carbon Pro (rafce bike), Specialized M2 (training bike), Pinarello Stelvio (fixed gear), and I have a lime green 98 specialized stumpjumper (mountian bike).

First tip, don't add paint unless the scratch goes through to the primer.

Second, keep a rag handy.

Third, build up higher than your original paint level in the scratch, very carefully. Let it cure for a good three days before touching it again.

Fourth, use wetsanding to flatten the now high area back down to paint level. Remember to sand perpendicular to the scratch, not with it. Be careful not to take down your original paint too far.

Fifth, buff it all out by hand using a high quality polish(go ask your local car paint store for help, or stick to 3M swirl remover) Regular rubbing compound is ok, but for a couple more bucks, you'll be much happier.

This method works pretty well on rock chips, deep scratches, etc. It's not perfect, so I hope your car is light colored or you practice on a light colored car first. I've done quite a few now. BTW, you skip the filling part if the scratches are light. I really must warn you to be careful how deep you wetsand. I try the least invasive method first.

Very light= A little wax
Kinda light= A little polish
Gettin Scratchy=Wetsand, Polish, Wax
Fuckin faggots keyed my god damn car=touch up paint,wetsand,polish,wax
Lady Ran the red light= body work mang

You have a good eye, Maasey. It's a Klein Quantum Race, year 2000. My MTB is a Gary Fisher Tassajara. Both are excellent bikes - I've been very happy with them. How do you like the Carbon Pro?
yeah, I'd like to have a roof rack, but they don't fit the civic coupe so well, and they're $$$$$. I'm on the starving college student budget right now. ;)

Originally posted by tab@Jan 23 2004, 10:03 PM
First tip, don't add paint unless the scratch goes through to the primer.

Second, keep a rag handy.

Third, build up higher than your original paint level in the scratch, very carefully. Let it cure for a good three days before touching it again.

Fourth, use wetsanding to flatten the now high area back down to paint level. Remember to sand perpendicular to the scratch, not with it. Be careful not to take down your original paint too far.

Fifth, buff it all out by hand using a high quality polish(go ask your local car paint store for help, or stick to 3M swirl remover) Regular rubbing compound is ok, but for a couple more bucks, you'll be much happier.

This method works pretty well on rock chips, deep scratches, etc. It's not perfect, so I hope your car is light colored or you practice on a light colored car first. I've done quite a few now. BTW, you skip the filling part if the scratches are light. I really must warn you to be careful how deep you wetsand. I try the least invasive method first.

Very light= A little wax
Kinda light= A little polish
Gettin Scratchy=Wetsand, Polish, Wax
Fuckin faggots keyed my god damn car=touch up paint,wetsand,polish,wax
Lady Ran the red light= body work mang

I use an airbrush to do the build up then a flat jar lid with a rag wrapped around it to keep a perfectly flat surface to rub compound or a sanding block for paper....important to be flat to avoid taking the paint u just put in the scratches out

Back