tow hooks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ricksautomotive

honda dealer tech
not sure where to post this but here goes...
while i was at autozone today i seen 3 honda civics all with tow hooks in the front and 2 of them even had em on the back. they looked like they were for looks only or they got a deal on all 5 of em (3 fronts and 2 rears) because they were all new. my question is...what do you think of them? and how much do they usually cost? and if theyre aluminum, how strong are they an the average hook? (i know it depends on the thickness and aluminum grade but is there an average stregth for them?) and are they just for towing back to the pits or down the street? i mean maybe i'll bore a few holes in some aluminum plate, anodize or powder coat em and sell em. just a thought. please tell me what you think about these tow hook things. thanks

tow hooks are pretty stupid. i have NEVER seen anybody use them, but they are on a shitload of hondas. they are pointless for street use because hondas can't pull anything, and if they are on the street, they are driveable adn don't need a hook.

they are pretty strong though. usually they are bolted to the frame or cross member.

They may come in handy if you ever end up in a ditch, but the better idea is to just not end up in a ditch.

i used to have them on my old DA years ago.... never used them for anything. thought it looked cool at the time. its a little too much for me these days.

:shrug2: i can see a purpose for them, but most of the retards with them dont use them as they're meant to be used

:shrug2: i can see a purpose for them, but most of the retards with them dont use them as they're meant to be used

exactly.

i had one on my car for about 3 minutes. accidentally kicked it and ripped up my shin. took it off and threw it away.

we use ours all the time at the track but then that is also a track car. You can find that many different companies make them in different styles and shapes too.

Mitch
Distant Imports

Fucking retarded for a street car.

Track car, it is a good idea. Just watch yourself walking around the car. I have bruised my shins many times... lol

I have them on my car because I think it looks cool because it's so gaudy, but I like that look on my car, I don't care what anybody says.

thanks for all the replies :) i thought pretty much the same about them (that theyre stupid) but i was looking at the business end of making them. i think i'll let other people make em LOL

For street use yeah they are retarded.. But if you take your car to a road racing circuit or are racing in anything officially sanctioned they are probably required. If they cant reach your factory hook, where you went off the track and got stuck, they will attach to anything they can, bumper/axles/cross member, and it might get fucked up. They will not be liable.

For street use yeah they are retarded.. But if you take your car to a road racing circuit or are racing in anything officially sanctioned they are probably required. If they cant reach your factory hook, where you went off the track and got stuck, they will attach to anything they can, bumper/axles/cross member, and it might get fucked up. They will not be liable.
And thats the troof

Back