1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tow hooks

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by ricksautomotive, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ricksautomotive

ricksautomotive honda dealer tech

not sure where to post this but here goes...
    while i was at autozone today i seen 3 honda civics all with tow hooks in the front and 2 of them even had em on the back. they looked like they were for looks only or they got a deal on all 5 of em (3 fronts and 2 rears) because they were all new. my question is...what do you think of them? and how much do they usually cost? and if theyre aluminum, how strong are they an the average hook? (i know it depends on the thickness and aluminum grade but is there an average stregth for them?) and are they just for towing back to the pits or down the street? i mean maybe i'll bore a few holes in some aluminum plate, anodize or powder coat em and sell em. just a thought. please tell me what you think about these tow hook things. thanks

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

tow hooks are pretty stupid. i have NEVER seen anybody use them, but they are on a shitload of hondas. they are pointless for street use because hondas can't pull anything, and if they are on the street, they are driveable adn don't need a hook.

they are pretty strong though. usually they are bolted to the frame or cross member.

3. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

They may come in handy if you ever end up in a ditch, but the better idea is to just not end up in a ditch.

4. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

i used to have them on my old DA years ago.... never used them for anything. thought it looked cool at the time. its a little too much for me these days.

5. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

:shrug: i can see a purpose for them, but most of the retards with them dont use them as they're meant to be used

6. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

exactly.

i had one on my car for about 3 minutes. accidentally kicked it and ripped up my shin. took it off and threw it away.

7. distant imports

distant imports New Member

we use ours all the time at the track but then that is also a track car. You can find that many different companies make them in different styles and shapes too.

Mitch
    Distant Imports

8. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

Fucking retarded for a street car.

Track car, it is a good idea. Just watch yourself walking around the car. I have bruised my shins many times... lol

9. spiritofjosh

spiritofjosh know your role!

I have them on my car because I think it looks cool because it's so gaudy, but I like that look on my car, I don't care what anybody says.

10. ricksautomotive

ricksautomotive honda dealer tech

thanks for all the replies :) i thought pretty much the same about them (that theyre stupid) but i was looking at the business end of making them. i think i'll let other people make em LOL

11. Korax

Korax New Member

For street use yeah they are retarded.. But if you take your car to a road racing circuit or are racing in anything officially sanctioned they are probably required. If they cant reach your factory hook, where you went off the track and got stuck, they will attach to anything they can, bumper/axles/cross member, and it might get fucked up. They will not be liable.

12. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

And thats the troof

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted