1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tps? How Important Is It?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by RFHOMI2U, Apr 2, 2003.

1. RFHOMI2U

RFHOMI2U Senior Member

What exactly does the TPS do??? Is it completely neccessary?? Motor is breaking up, and ECU throwing code 7. I unplugged the TPS while the motor was running, and nothing happened. Is it supposed to if the TPS is working right??? Would this definitely be the TPS? (I don't wanna spend $150Usd if i don't have to) -thanks for help. -Ryan

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

It sends a signal in the form of voltage to the ECU to tell it what the throttle is doing.

Here are some pics of the troubleshooting for a CEL 7:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need the second page I can reshoot it.

3. AllMotorMonster

AllMotorMonster Senior Member

TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

This tells the computer how much air is entering the engine, and how to adjust fuel accordingly.

MOST important young grasshopper

4. Vexamus

Vexamus Member

The engine only requires two sensors to limp. I believe it's CKP and TPS. with no tps, you'll get no fuel curve. The reason it did nothing when you unplugged it is because you're already at idle. hit the gas and you'll run so lean it'll hurt your engine and/or stall immediately.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted