tps/idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luispequeno

i have a 00 civic si, with a jdm b16 just re-done from the bottom end up. i put it all together and i'd say i'm a "alright" mechanic or parts changer, to not be tootin' my own horn.

anyway... my idle is terrible. it usually idles around 2k rpm, so i losen the throtle cable & it wont idle at the old 1000rpm. so i cleaned out the throttle body, thinking maybe my butterfly was stuck or something, no luck. i dont think my distributor is perfect, but i've fiddled with that and ended up leaving that in the middle.

so i have a pretty bad idle issue. any ideas?

also, i disconnect my tps & it wont chuckle or anything. does this sound like a tps issue? its $562 at honda, i'd hate to spend that...

sounds more like an IAC issue, but you can backprobe the signal wire to the TPS and if the voltage seems too high replace it. Have you tried bleeding the coolant or checked for vac leaks?

no i haven't, how would i bleed the coolant? EM's dont have bolts to open it at, does it?

yeah i dont think its the tps. i think its related to having an air pocket in my water lines. i have that bad idle and its sending most of the fluid back to my resevoir. i just need to know how to bleed the coolant.

anyone know where i can find the cd for my kar?

whats that suppose to do?

a tps shouldnt be $562. but if it was the tps, you should have a code stored.

Blowing smoke at the intake area can show you where vac leaks are. The tps costs that much forsay; the throttle body costs that much. You can only get a tps from honda with the attached throttle body.

yeah i dont think its the tps. i think its related to having an air pocket in my water lines. i have that bad idle and its sending most of the fluid back to my resevoir. i just need to know how to bleed the coolant.

anyone know where i can find the cd for my kar?

The cd? Huh? Manual?

The bleed screw is on the thermostat housing on the left of your engine right under the distributor. Best of luck

Blowing smoke at the intake area can show you where vac leaks are. The tps costs that much forsay; the throttle body costs that much. You can only get a tps from honda with the attached throttle body.

The cd? Huh? Manual?

The bleed screw is on the thermostat housing on the left of your engine right under the distributor. Best of luck

i know they come with the throttle bodies. but you can buy a tps by itself off ebay for like $30.
and im gonna try that smoke thing. thats a helluva lot better than spraying carb cleaner on it. ive been suspecting vacuum leaks for a while.

i have always just took tha radiator cap off and just let it idle for about 15 min and keeping it topped off, when i bleed my coolant

its a lot easier when you have a little spout that just lets all the air out for you.
a lot quicker too. takes about 2 seconds.

so should i just leave a hose loose until i see it get there? i would want to do that to the top hose, huh?

i meant "a cd for my kar" as in the cd manual thing.

i think i can manage the job now, i just need to get back to my side of town and work on it... been at mah b0ys working on his EVO viii for a while now...

fuckin ricers.

and no, dont take your hose off. that will just dump all the coolant out. duh.
just loosen the bolt that looks like it has a nipple on the end of it on the thermostat housing that the upper radiator hose is attached to. some air should come out.

yess, do it properly and use the bleeder screw. Any other way and your not generating enough pressure to properly move coolant (and air) thru the passages. It needs just a small hole for the air pressure to escape thru.

Blowing smoke at it is meh. Never actually had success, but the smoke I'm blowin at it makes the job more fun hahaa. The concept is sound, so I'd guess that method should work.

would the smoke bypassing the filter like that fuck anything up?

lol i'd say it really depends on the smoke, but more or less, deffinatly not. the particles of smoke are so small, the only thing you could expect it to do is tar up the inerds, and that seems unlikely with the heat generated and small amount of smoke that's going to enter.

lol, MthaFuknGREEN smoke... over here :D

Back