TPS Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slipvayne

Ok I found out what is making my cars idle go crazy. Its my tps. But the thing is, i called honda and they said its a one piece unit. So i would have to buy the whole Throttle body. 540 fuckin dollars. I dont think so. So i went to the junk yard and they had acouple that looked close but there were more vaccum hoses on it. So I am wondering. my friend was watching hi rev tuners and told me that they said that you can take a hammer and a chisel and knock it out. ANd just put the other on and get a nut and bolt to keep the new one on. the tps looks the same and the hook up is the same. Any help is appreciated.
Thanx Mike

btw my car is a 1986 civic hatch si 1.5 fi
the car i want to pull the tps is a 87 prelude si

the tps is riveted on, right?

what you do is get a drill, and drill out around the center pin of the rivet. then with a pair of pliers, unscrew the center pin.

I ordered my TPS for my LS swap on ebay. IT is only held on with 2 screws. Cost like 50 bucks and worked perfectly.

yeaaaaah peter, whaaats happenin? im gonna need you to go ahead and put the new cover sheet on the tps reports from now on ummmkay

Originally posted by slipvayne@Sep 11 2003, 06:27 PM
Ok I found out what is making my cars idle go crazy. Its my tps. But the thing is, i called honda and they said its a one piece unit. So i would have to buy the whole Throttle body. 540 fuckin dollars. I dont think so. So i went to the junk yard and they had acouple that looked close but there were more vaccum hoses on it. So I am wondering. my friend was watching hi rev tuners and told me that they said that you can take a hammer and a chisel and knock it out. ANd just put the other on and get a nut and bolt to keep the new one on. the tps looks the same and the hook up is the same. Any help is appreciated.
Thanx Mike

btw my car is a 1986 civic hatch si 1.5 fi
the car i want to pull the tps is a 87 prelude si

You will need a TPS from your model of car. Not a prelude. Just grind off the rivets on the old TB. Then just drill out the old rivets and screw in the new TPS. It's not that hard. And FUCK Honda, they tried to charge me $700 for my TB when that happened to my civic. Just call around junkyards untill you find a wrecked '86 si.

Back