TPS Removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I have a new TPS that I need to switch with the one on my throttle body. How do you take it off ? It looks like it is riveted on. Is there a special tool ? Please Help.

take a cutoff wheel or something and notch the rivet for a flat tip screwdrive and it should come right off. Make sure you set the voltage on the new TPS when you are done too. It should be .5v closed and almost 5v open. (I think)

I was just reading about this voltage stuff. If the voltage isn't at .5 volts, I need to open the throttle a little bit, then do I use the bolts that tighten my cable to hold it at the position ?

Don't tighten the TPS bolts all of the way and you should be able to turn the TPS until the desired voltage is read. Or just get it as close as possible I guess.
You don't want to mess with the throttle plate, it needs to be closed to idle correctly.

You change the TPS location, not the throttle plate.

And it MUST be 0.5V+ or higher, but NOT below 0.5V+ The top doesn't matter, just the closed voltage.

not sure which one, but one wire is 5v into the tps, one is ground, and the last one is the variable one that you need to measure.

I'm trying to set the TPS voltage and I can get it to about .39 volts but I can't turn the TPS anymore so that I can get it to .49 volts. What do I do ???

Back