TPS Voltage Backwards?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wougoose

Hello all,

I've been having issues regarding my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I was getting Error Code 7, so I looked up troubleshooting guides related to the TPS. I followed them step by step and found out that my TPS is giving the wrong voltages.

It was getting 5.0 volts at closed throttle and around 0 volts at wide open throttle. I proceeded to replace the TPS with a new one and problem is STILL happening. I am still getting 5V at closed and 0V at wide open. I tested and made sure the wires were going to the correct pins on the ECU. Could my ECU be bad? Has anyone had this happen before? It is really frustrating, there is nothing worse than losing power at wide open throttle :(

Thanks

Little more info...

Have you done any sort of swapping recently? OBD or MPFI conversions? Without knowing much else, it sounds like someone that did an MPFI conversion forgot to reverse the TPS wires. Off the top of my head, there will be three wires for it, one of them is red, and I believe that is your signal wire.... leave that one alone. MPFI recipies call for switching the other two wires around, otherwise you'll have the exact problem you're describing.
MPFI Swap

Alright, I ended up swapping the two wires and it solved the problem. Now my voltage is going from around 0v at closed to ~3.8v at wide open. I think the low voltage is because something is bent in my throttle body. The previous owner is really starting to impress me....not.

i have the same problem but i have a b17a1 in an 89 crx si but i have a 93 integra ls harness in it should i do the same?

Back