Trading in the Audi :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I thought about a TDI but now diesel is $4.60. Thats $.60/gallon more than regular is around my area.

...and dealerships are charging a premium for the cars. The prices I heard people quoting were retarded - like $26-$30k for a new TDI.

It's pretty sad when you're trading in a car to get better gas mileage, and that "better" is only 27 mpg. You know you're on a Honda forum, right?

Just bustin' your balls. I just don't really see your logic. If you were concerned so much about MPG why didn't you get a get a civic or camry or something of that sort? GLIs don't get that many MPG really, especially in the city...

Because i still wanted something fully loaded with all teh options, leather, power features, sunroof etc...and with some balls when i wanted it.

Like i said i drove teh 2007 SI and before i drove it i was pretty sure i was gonna by it but after i drove it i was turned off. I wasn;t impressed i found the GLi to be a better car for my taste

Thats about right, 50mpg. The calculations all boil down to how much you're planning on driving and how much ultimately you'll pay for the car.

If diesel was cheaper than gas, as it was a year or so ago, and I could pick the TDI up for the same price as a new jetta, I would jump at the chance.

Interesting trade, but not a bad deal really. I work on Audis all day long and to tell you the truth, once they get on in life, 2.7T A6's become money pits. Coolant pumps, turbos, cats, sleeves, CV boots, tie rods, bypass valves. And I will attest to them loving gas. The 2.8's and 3.0's aren't horrible, but get into boost with the A/C on and you can watch the gas needle drop. Still, the 4.2s are worse, and the RS6....fuck that.

Factory warranty car > used car extended warranty (I'd assume ExtraCare).

Yea, I drove the Si and was extremely unimpressed, one of the reasons I decided to just get an LX was cause the Si just wasn'r worth it, power was less then mediocre, the interior felt just as cheap (thae amber was coo though), I personally liked the cloth stain resistant seats over the leather, warmer in winter, cooler in the summer. The only thing I preferred about the Si was the suspension ands brakes.

The "Passat" and the A4 ride on the same chassis, not the Jetta.

But as long as you're happy with the car, that's all that matters. BTW I get around 25-30 in the shitvic, depending on how heavy my foot is. I get 20 mpg in the Jeep and I still seem to drive it more often.:confused::ph34r::confused:

To date, I am MOST impressed with the Mazda speed3 wagon. that thing is THE BOMB.

+1. Actually recently looked and drove one of these at the dealer. The thing is AWESOME. I've been thinking about an upgrade on the civic, it's a little cramped as my son gets older, but I know I couldn't keep my foot out of the boost, and I just couldn't talk myself into another payment (about 340/mo) plus additional fuel expense.

Well having worked in the auto industry for a while. I would avoid anything from VW because their quality sucks. I would try to find a used v-6 accord before I bought that.

Well, some of the older Jettas suck, but a GLI isn't going to be quite the issue as an older Audi with the 2.7T. the 2.0L TFSI motors are generally not that problematic. The A3's and A4's we see more for trans issues (GLI doesn't have Quattro), and body electrical issues.

Just make sure you use good gas in it. Numerous people who try putting cheapo gas into their cars are having big problems from shitty gas.

+1. Actually recently looked and drove one of these at the dealer. The thing is AWESOME. I've been thinking about an upgrade on the civic, it's a little cramped as my son gets older, but I know I couldn't keep my foot out of the boost, and I just couldn't talk myself into another payment (about 340/mo) plus additional fuel expense.

Did you almost put your foot through the floor going after the clutch? Compared to my 89, that thing has a LIGHT clutch. I was instinctively expecting a heavy cable clutch and instead I got *WHAM!*

Fun as HELL to drive :)

Additional fuel expense ? NO.

My friend gets consistent 35mpg combination driving on it. During highway trips, at a reasonable clip (about 75 the whole time) it betters 40+mpg. Around town, romping on it it CAN get low. But if you don't drive it like a retard, it's actually very well mannered in the drinking habit.

Plus, the car is totally worth any premium charged. The interior is superior, the radio is complete, the NAV is nice, but without it the glovebox is ENORMOUS. The seats are primo, the wheel and shifter are awesome, the car is balanced and is basically a FWD WRX wagon. Remembering, the only thing I hated about the WRX was the horrendous mileage (combination 22mpg) because it was moving so much mechanical gear.

Welp right now i am 100% impressed. My average highway driving with cruise on at 70mph is almost 32 mpg. The car also has enough power for the time being and i can always get a GIAC tune for that extra 40hp and 50tq when the time comes.

Almost a full week now and i am just barely under 1/2 tank.

comp1.jpg

Additional fuel expense ? NO.

My friend gets consistent 35mpg combination driving on it. During highway trips, at a reasonable clip (about 75 the whole time) it betters 40+mpg. Around town, romping on it it CAN get low. But if you don't drive it like a retard, it's actually very well mannered in the drinking habit.

Plus, the car is totally worth any premium charged. The interior is superior, the radio is complete, the NAV is nice, but without it the glovebox is ENORMOUS. The seats are primo, the wheel and shifter are awesome, the car is balanced and is basically a FWD WRX wagon. Remembering, the only thing I hated about the WRX was the horrendous mileage (combination 22mpg) because it was moving so much mechanical gear.

Huh? Are you sure it is the turbo version? The window sticker, which is all I can go by, says 18 city/26 highway, on 91+ octane, which in this area would be 93. Granted I only drive a total of 100 miles a week, but the civic gets 30ish around town. I didn't even mention insurance, which costs me only 30 a month now. Just a guess, but based on our Aura being about 75/ month, I think anything with a turbo in it would certainly be higher than that. Soooo, 340 payment + gas + maybe 100-120 insurance vs. 30 + 50 bucks a month for gas in civic = no deal.

No argument from me that it's a great car though.

Last edited:
Did you almost put your foot through the floor going after the clutch? Compared to my 89, that thing has a LIGHT clutch. I was instinctively expecting a heavy cable clutch and instead I got *WHAM!*

Fun as HELL to drive :)

Agreed on all points. I prefer a heavy clutch, and my personal favorite was the one in my uncle's old 90 laser RS Turbo. Heavy, but not overly so, and a very linear feel, and you could feel it engage. That was my introduction to turbo cars, and it was really a blast to drive. Came on boost about 3000, and maxed out at like 14.5 PSI. I also had a supercharged 95 Z28 with a 4.10 rear end, it was fast as hell in a straight line, but that Laser just left a smile on your face.

Back