Traffic sign question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cheese9988

VIP
Anybody know in ny, when you go by a sign with a lower speed if you have time to slow down or not? I hear if you see a sign with a high speed you can speed up. Not sure what the law was the other way around.

as posted, it is from that point forward. thats why they have "speed zone ahead" signs to warn you

Are you asking us if you have to obey speed limits ?

Cuz you came to the wrong forum son.

i'm pretty sure the law is that once you see the sign you should be doing that speed...

i mean, most driving instructors will tell you to speed up or slow down ahead of time, etc...
but the main thing to look for would safety...
like if you're doing 55, and you come into a 30, you don;t wanna slam on your brakes and get rear ended...

but i'm pretty sure if the cop was a huge dick head he could write you up for speeding...

as posted, it is from that point forward. thats why they have "speed zone ahead" signs to warn you

i love when they have a speed zone ends 15 feet before a stop sign...

also remember orange square signs with speed limits posted are suggested speeds, only white signs with black lettering are actual posted speeds.
and I believe there is a grace distance to ajust speed

and stop signs with white boarders are optional.

I know I have to obey them, just trying to get out of it like most people. Missed a 30 zone sign when I was driving the other day. Not a big deal, I'll have to pay the fine either way, just trying to keep the points off my license, have none now.

I'm still waiting to see old people get written up for doing 20 in a 45...
i could not agree more...
nothing incites road rage than fuckers going 20 under the speed limit and not having the courtesy to let people go by...

I know I have to obey them, just trying to get out of it like most people. Missed a 30 zone sign when I was driving the other day. Not a big deal, I'll have to pay the fine either way, just trying to keep the points off my license, have none now.
they might give you a LITTLE wiggle room here, but i doubt this defense will work if you MISSED the sign, lol

just plead not guilty, tell them you have a clean record when you go to court and they will more than likely drop it to a no point violation...
and dress properly when you go to court and kiss ass...

Quoted post[/post]]

yep. seen judges lay it down like that in court. that's why they have the warning signs. if you are going 40 and the sign says 30 mph, you better slow down. If you go 1 inch past the sign the fastest you can go without a ticket is 30 mph.

oh, and don't try the "i'll overpay and wait for the refund so the points don't count" trick. I tried that. overpaid the ticket $10 and they just kept it. oh well, it was worth the shot.

the entire country is the same.

from the posted sign foward.

I have been pulled over for doing 56 in a 55 when a 60mph sign is literally 20 feet from my parked car.

Out on Washington Center road west of Fort Wayne there's a sign that says "END Speed Limit 45" with no other signs for about 4 miles ahead of that.

Does that mean I can go as fast as I want?

Quoted post[/post]]
Out on Washington Center road west of Fort Wayne there's a sign that says "END Speed Limit 45" with no other signs for about 4 miles ahead of that.

no...!!!!!! it means that you can go back to the preposted speed.

we have a state speed limit in NY for those situations...

and they can always get you for reckless driving, speed not appropriate for conditions, etc

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

no...!!!!!! it means that you can go back to the preposted speed.

lol I know... the limit goes up to 55 at the next sign... so I just drive along at 55ish.

Back