tranny building

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigg86

i need some opinions about building a b18c1 tranny. I'm almost done with my car/engine build and the only thing i haven't modified is my tranny. I'm planning to do all the work at school (OTC) where i'm gonna be taking a manual transmission class in a few weeks. i would have all tools required to do the work and instructors with a lot of experience in high performance and racing..... so i was looking at different final drives (4.7, 4.9) and LSD kits but they will run me as much as if i were to buy a new type r tranny..... any ideas/links/past experiences you guys wanna shared would be much appreciated..... thanks!

P/S: i really wanna build the tranny myself and not buy one

i found some gears from MFactory, they look good and promise a lot, they have good reviews, but they are a lil bit pricey. it would cost me around 1300 at least to build it myself when i can buy a type r tranny for 1000. Damn!..... i also found another thread that specifies gear ratios for all b series trannys (https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/b-series-transmission-guide-29099/ ), so i might just do some hw and get oem parts and combine them all into a killer tranny. lol. i'm serious tho, i might be able to get really close of not better to a type r tranny with the same final drive and helical LSD. i dont wanna do the 4.9FD bcuz it sacrifices too much top end....

Just get an oem rebuild kit and two new synchronizer assemblies. I took manual transmission/transaxles too, its a lot. Automatic is 10 times harder. Good luck, keep us posted.

Also, keep in mind that when you disassemble the main shaft it is important to keep your parts in order. The synchronizer hubs have to be pressed on/off and it is very important to put them in the correct positions when you re-assemble. :thumbsup:

so what do you guys know about dual synchros?

I know they can be put under a little more abuse and usually let you shift faster. I can feel the difference only when powershifting. I think carbon coated would be fine, but I havnt any experiance with them.

ok so i started my hw with oem parts, and i was wondering how is FD calculated, or is it something that is set according to the tranny you have?

i just found a post made by a honda tech which i recently emailed, hopefully he'll get back to me..... this is what i wrote....

hello, i saw ur post about b-series trannys at hondaswap.com...... it really give me a good idea about trannys since im new in this field...
the reason why i'm writing is because i want to build a tranny for my built engine with oem parts, right now i have a usdm gsr tranny with no mods. So, according to your add i came up with the conclusion of staying with my 1st gear synchro (3.230), get 2nd (2.105) and 3rd (1.458) gears from the b16 S4C tranny, and 4th (0.966) and 5th (0.714) from the b18b1 tranny.
My question to you is if this is possible to do, from what i read in different forums i shouldnt have a problem. I will be keeping the b18c1 differential, and i wanted to get the 4.78 final drive also. Now with all these different gears and FD, would i have a problem installing an lsd in it?
i would much appreciate if you could help me out. Thanks

P/S: i want to use dual synchros where possible/available.

G.G.
-------------

this should give me hard acceleration and awesome top end
1st: 38mph
2nd: 58mph
3rd: 84mph
4th: 110mph
5th: 171mph
this was calculated with 205 50 15 tires, redline set at 8500rpms, and a 4.78 final drive

I just got my lsd and 4.9 fd for my dx tranny rebuild...

Im going to be spinning lots more rpms after the switch, so should i be looking at transmission cooling options?

check out my thread in general maintenance and performance plz! I dont mean to hijack!

B16's didn't come with dual synchros. It's not really neccessary if you ask me. I think people misunderstand the word "synchro". It is pretty much short for Synchronizer Assembly.

B16's didn't come with dual synchros. It's not really neccessary if you ask me. I think people misunderstand the word "synchro". It is pretty much short for Synchronizer Assembly.

this is what i'm looking for .....

B16B (Hydraulic):
S4C (LSD)

The transmission found in the Civic Type R is highly sought after and very rare. Its gear ratio's are identical to that of the B16A's but has a stronger limited slip and dual synchro's in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. Expect to pay between 1000-1200 for a genuine CTR transmission because they're rare and well worth the price. Its also worth mentioning that these transmissions are Hydraulic type.

got them from this website: https://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/b-series-transmission-guide-29099/

Back