Tranny codes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

Where on teh tranny can i find out what kind of tranny it is. this is on a D series tranny. there is a d series trans in this abandoned EF hatch that i know of and there was a brand new clutch in it with a trans laying in the back. I wanna know how to determine what it is before taking the time to bring it home.

Image if the tranny was mounted to an engine and you were standing in front of the car looking into the engine bay (also please image you have opened the hood :) ) There is a strip on the front of the tranny facing you that has a alpha # (ex: s40) that is your tranny number the long # is the serial.

And anyone know where i can find out what tranny was in what model of car?
Nevermind, reference section, damn im lazy

Okay the reference section says that all the d series 4th Gen are an L3 trans. now how can i find out what car it came from?

look above the oil fill plug. if it says
L3/3000 - SI
L3/A000 - DX
L3/A100 - HF

Originally posted by ryan89crx@Feb 1 2005, 09:06 PM
look above the oil fill plug. if it says
L3/3000 - SI
L3/A000 - DX
L3/A100 - HF
[post=454866]Quoted post[/post]​

not true - never buy a transmission by looking at these numbers and think you are getting Si because it says "PL3/3000" - you could be buying a DX or ZC transmission - these numbers are casting numbers for back half of the case and have nothing to do with gear ratios inside - 4 speeds say PL3/A000 - some Si's say PL3/A000 - ZC's say PL3/3000 or PL3/9000 or PL3/6000 - some Si's say PL3/9000 - some DX's say PL3/9000 or PL3/3000 - some DX's say PL3/A100 - you cannot tell what it is by looking at the outside of the transmission!!!

Back