Tranny decision for allmotor b20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRAZYEG9

I have a B20. I plan to go vtec head later, do yo think that the B16 tranny would be a good mod. Right now I have an GSR under constuction and I'm currently using an LS. From me swapping out the GSR tranny and putting in the LS tranny I lost alot of acceleration. I mean it really dissapointed me and made my car feel like a pig . That is telling me that your tranny is one of the biggest mods you can have, more than Intake, Exh. headers and all that shit combined which is making me think about getting an even tighter ratio than the GSR and get a B16 tranny. What do you think about this decision?, cause I'm staying allmotor. I know my MPGs on the highway will go down but do you think cruising at 70-75mph will be a serious strain on the engine.

of course cruising at higher RPM's will exert more stress on the engine- But it shouldn't make a difference, providing the engine is in good working shape- I ran a B16 cable trans on an LS for 3 years (about 40k miles) and never had a problem with the motor- Never started using oil, lost compression etc- Also, most of those miles were on the highway at 4k RPM's or more

I think, depending on what you want to use the car for, there is no reason not to go with the shortest gear ratios possible- acceleration > gas mileage

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Apr 27 2005, 01:37 AM
of course cruising at higher RPM's will exert more stress on the engine- But it shouldn't make a difference, providing the engine is in good working shape- I ran a B16 cable trans on an LS for 3 years (about 40k miles) and never had a problem with the motor- Never started using oil, lost compression etc- Also, most of those miles were on the highway at 4k RPM's or more

I think, depending on what you want to use the car for, there is no reason not to go with the shortest gear ratios possible- acceleration > gas mileage
[post=491906]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I'm more of a 1/4 guy than anything, so I think I'll try that. The only thing that'll hurt is occasionally I like to embarrass Maximas and alot of other V6 cars on the Highway late at night. You know those guys that think there luxury cars are the are untouchable, and I think the B16 tranny will run outa gearing with a 7000 redline til I get my vtec head. But like I said I take the 1/4 mile more serious than anything.

Don't worry about topping out the b16 tranny...I hit almost 130mph on it in my b16 crx :ph34r:

(I was running larger than stock wheels, thats why I was able to get above the 120mph speed govenor).

I would go with the GSR.

My personal favorite and I think it's the best all around trans.

I'm using an LS right now though.

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Apr 27 2005, 01:54 PM
Don't worry about topping out the b16 tranny...I hit almost 130mph on it in my b16 crx

i had the B18a redlined doing about 115mph on the b16a trans :-/
[post=492076]Quoted post[/post]​

get a y1 b16 tranny...with that tranny on a b20. your as fast as a complete gsr swap... i top out my b20 with y1 b16 tranny at almost 130+ miles an hour....car pulls to 115 mph really quick then takes a little longer from 115 to 135 because you're at the top of 5th with a b20 which is where it starts to die off in the powerband...

Back