Tranny fluid?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

friz

Just finished b16 swap. Do the b-series use motor oil in the trannys like the d-series, and if so what weight.

Yeah, i think its 5w30, but you should use MTF unless you have an LSD, then you should use GM Synchromesh Friction Modified.

looks like I need the syncromesh.Does, auto zone have it? and what is the capacity

yes autozone has it. $5 a quart, my transmission used a full two quarts but my friend that has a b-series transmission said he used 2 and a half. check the helms manual to be sure.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and put motor oil in it tonight for the test drive. But I will get the right stuff tomorrow.

the GM, Texaco, and Pennzoil are the same from what ive read in other forums.

You don't need GM Syncromesh friction modified unless you have a Kaaz or some other clutch type LSD. If you have a regular helical diff Honda MTL is the stuff to use :D

Originally posted by Blanco@Dec 6 2004, 06:13 AM
:werd:

Isn't that what was put in the tranny originally, anyway?
[post=426920]Quoted post[/post]​

maybe nowadays, but when some of these cars rolled off the showroom floor 10+ years ago, they had regular motor oil in them, then honda came out with the special transmission fluid.

Thanks guys. I'm running motor oil now and will switch to Honda MTF when I get close to a dealership. I'm out in the sticks, may be a while.

I wouldn't worry about it. I am running 10w30 in my tranny right now. I also have a Quaife LSD and you don't need anything special for it.

Back