Tranny fluid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
What oil do you guys usually use in the tranny, manual of course?

I was told to just use motor oil, 10-30 weight. I've been using Mobil1 10-30 and changing it every 10K or so.

Problem is, the tranny seems to be getting HOT. When it gets hot, the clutch fails miserably! Maybe someone else on here has had this issue and has an oil of choice or something. TIA :)

I like the BG syncroshift and Redline MTL they both work great. I dont think that a diffrent fluid will change how your clutch is slipping. Check your free play at the clutch pedal or the clutch just might be wasted.

The clutch is a total piece of shit, but it does seem heat related. I've read other stories on people's issues with a Centerforce and they ALL seem to be heat related.

Redline MTL huh? I'll have to give that a shot. My clutch has .25-.5" of free play at the top. BUT, it slips as soon as I apply the slightest pressure to the pedal. Do I have something adjusted wrong?

Your freeplay seems to be fine as long as the clutch is not draggin(like your foot is on the clutch pedal). I think whats happing is that the clutch is worn and as more heat is applied to the clutch it will slip. Try a ACT clutch. I never had a problem with thoes kits. Hope this helps:rolleyes:

WOW! I was told NEVER to use anything thicker then 10-30. I'm so confused now LOL!

i dont like that heavy weight just because on cold days like winter the shifter will feel tight until the transmission fluid comes up to temp.

i use 10w30 in my protege and honda mtf in my lude. gm syncromesh worked in a friend of mine's lude. those are really the only 3 things we use in our cars around here.

And wow, I just had to explain to my car-ignorant roomate that this is a honda forum and tranny fluid is actually a car reference. He glanced at my monitor and was like "Wtf?" lol

I don't know, but I beeter not ever come back early one weekend and find him dressed up like a woman/cuddling with someone who is.

Gear oil vs. Engine oil

Don't get confused between gear oil and engine oil

A SAE 30W Engine oil is about the same viscosity as a SAE 80-90W Gear oil, but the gear oil has extreme pressure additives for the gnashing of gear teeth. The engine oil doesn't.

Viscosity Charts

Then thats prolly my high trans heat issue. I'm running motor oil 10/30 and its WAY thinner then what it needs to be. Thanks for the info :)

Back