Tranny Going Bad?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

831civic

My transmission doesn't go into 3rd gear during races. I try shifting around 8,000 rpm and it just won't go in. I lost to a turbo MR2 'cause of this when I know I should have beaten him 'cause I was pulling on him hard :angry: Could it be my syncros? Someone told me that it could be my clutch.

common after bangin' gears in a honda for a while. At 8,000 I would suppose your synchro just can't catch hard enough

I'm startin' to have the same problem in 2nd. I tend to grind going into 2nd sometimes when I'm really beating on the car, and very rarely now, it will throw me out of 2nd when i go in. Time for new tranny!!!

sounds like your syncro.s are gone
u can get it over hauled but getting a new tranny is the best idea
dont forget to change the clutch and release bearing will its out

Actually, I've seen many Honda trannys with synchro damage symptoms. But...it's actually the input shaft bearing that went first, giving enough play in the shaft to pop gears out and/or grind. Also, the bearing races on many are a plastic composite and when they shatter the little chucks can plug the lubrication holes in the shaft. If you catch it fast enough, you can rebuild for as little as 50-100 bucks for the case bearings. IMO, you should always tear down first before buying a new one. Even if it's fucked you will have tons of useful salvage parts. Final drives and good gear sets will fetch enough $ to pay for your new tranny at times.

Back