Tranny Grinding in 3rd Gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

So I blew my tranny 2 months ago taking my weak ass d16z6 into the 8000 rpm mark. I took it in to my local shop and they hooked me up with a tranny with "20,000-30,000" miles on it. I've had the new tranny in for about a month and a half and for the last 2 or 3 weeks it grinds like hell in 3rd gear no matter how far the clutch is in. The clutch is also brand new. Do you think this problem is the clutch being installed improperly or is it most likely something wrong with the tranny/ shift linkage. If y'all could help me out that'd be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Apr 27 2005, 05:38 PM
bad third gear syncros that is it
[post=492250]Quoted post[/post]​

so i just took it to a honda dealership and they said its gonna need a whole tranny rebuild. is this just a pitch or can i just buy synchros for that gear and put them in? quick reply's would kick ass i need my ride runnin smooth for highschool drags next weekend!

yeah, if its just 3rd gear that does it sounds like a bad synchro, what about other shifts? are they smooth?

used to be able to buy just syncro but i think now a days you have to buy gear sets, better off just buying a new tranny thay are cheap for a d series.

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Apr 27 2005, 06:01 PM
used to be able to buy just syncro  but i think now a days you have to buy gear sets, better off just buying a new tranny thay are cheap for a d series.
[post=492261]Quoted post[/post]​

damn that's fuckin weak i just had a new tranny put in. i didn't even drive it very hard. i guess it's just hard luck right? well if anyone knows for sure if i can just get some synchros for my 3rd cuz every other gear hits perfectly. i have another thread posted about my friends gsr/b16 he's giving me (needs new block and pistons) until i can afford to fix the block and build the engine up will a b16a tranny hook up to my d16? and also is a gsr engine on a b16 tranny a bad set up? thanks!

Originally posted by PolkMomoInMYSi+Apr 27 2005, 09:08 PM-->
TWISTEDIMAGE
@Apr 27 2005, 06:01 PM
used to be able to buy just syncro  but i think now a days you have to buy gear sets, better off just buying a new tranny thay are cheap for a d series.

damn that's fuckin weak i just had a new tranny put in. i didn't even drive it very hard. i guess it's just hard luck right? well if anyone knows for sure if i can just get some synchros for my 3rd cuz every other gear hits perfectly. i have another thread posted about my friends gsr/b16 he's giving me (needs new block and pistons) until i can afford to fix the block and build the engine up will a b16a tranny hook up to my d16? and also is a gsr engine on a b16 tranny a bad set up? thanks!
[post=492262]Quoted post[/post]​

replacing a sychro isnt an easy job, you have to pull the tranny, and then open the tranny up and take the gears apart. it would be cheaper/easier to get another junkyard tranny or just deal with the grinds till you do the B series swap.

a B16 tranny will not bolt up to a D16, B series and D series are different. and yes a B16 tranny will work good with a GSR. nice short gearing for the torqueless motor.

Mine does the same in third gear. I bought some Honda MTF I am going to try that and see if it cures the problem.

i my b16 tranny was doing the same shit....i went to autozone and bought the penzoil syncro mesh fluid and after about 200 miles it stopped grinding....i did not think that it would work but sure enough it stopped...try it...its cheaper than a new tranny...and stop driving like a maniac....respect your car and it will last

stock d16= shit @8k

Originally posted by formby@Apr 28 2005, 08:46 AM
i my b16 tranny was doing the same shit....i went to autozone and bought the penzoil syncro mesh fluid and after about 200 miles it stopped grinding....i did not think that it would work but sure enough it stopped...try it...its cheaper than a new tranny...and stop driving like a maniac....respect your car and it will last

stock d16= shit @8k
[post=492485]Quoted post[/post]​

So what did you rig up to pump the tranny fluid in there?

if you go to the store they have a funnel with a hose on it....just put the hose in the hole and filrup

Originally posted by formby@Apr 28 2005, 09:12 AM
if you go to the store they have a funnel with a hose on it....just put the hose in the hole and filrup
[post=492493]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks!

Originally posted by TWISTEDIMAGE@Apr 27 2005, 09:01 PM
used to be able to buy just syncro but i think now a days you have to buy gear sets, better off just buying a new tranny thay are cheap for a d series.

:no2:

Syncro's come in sets of two, except for fifth gear. meaning.... 1+2, 3+4. Reverse doesn't have a syncro..obviously. You do not have to buy a gear set.

My advice, since I went through this last year, is to just rebuild it. It is expensive, but look at it this way: You could either rebuild your tranny and know that it is fixed, or get another used one and run into the same problems another 200miles down the road.

Used trannies are sKeTch dude, just fix your own.

first off the shop sold you a completel line of bullshit telling you the tranny had that low of miles...
you got fucked there...

second, all it takes is a couple mis-shifts/fuckups and you're right back to grinding again

if you're going to b series soon just let it grind...
it will still go in gear quickly if enough force is applied, that will get you through your weekend "drags"

sounds to me like you abuse the shit out of the car, and thats most likely why this one is grinding now too...

d series are NOT race cars, not race engines, and not race trannies...
they were built for economy...
you start throwing redline shifts at the d series trans and they will fail sooner or later... and in your case it was obviously sooner...

my b-series cable tranny has been grinding for about a year. and i still drive the shit out of it. so dont worry about them if your just going to do a swap.

Back