Tranny Noise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

How often do the bearings in the trans go? I think mine is on its way. Its got 175K on it and makes an annoying noise at idle, and in first through third gears that I can hear it.. I know its not the throw out bearing because even with pressure, the noise should go away if it were. It also grinds third if get above 5K but I don't hardly beat on the car since I use it to get back and foward to work. But it is an annoying wine that follows the car up, and is kind of intermittent, but does follow the rpms, getting a little louder, and is slowly getting louder... The car is a 95 Civic Ex, 5 Spd... Thanks Gary

I suppose it is possible that the input shaft bearing is going out, or some other bearing. Try finding a good trans with low miles and swap it out.

Ya sadly thats what I was thinking but was hoping it wasn't. But what can you do when you have a car that has 175K miles on it. When it first started I had a local shop do a flush to see if that would help and yea it didn't. :( So I guess its time to find me a new trans, to hold me over till I can find me a jdm b16 with everything to swap over. But does anyone know what the normal length of time on the bearings are? Thanks Gary

Another question tho, as far as it goes. I found in one of the local yards a trans w/ only 116K on it for about 250, the only problem could be that its for a DX/SI according to the junkyard and they said it would work. Does anyone know if there are and differences in trans between the dx/ex/si? and if so will it still work or not because the local trans shops want alot of cash to do anything to it. And I have the hookup for this one. Thanks Gary

The trans will bolt up fine, however the ex and the si are out of the vtec cars and have closer gears then the lx or dx. It will bolt up fine but your gearing will be different it would be longer.

Ya.. After I posted, like the n00b I am here, I went and saw the gearing, but was talking to honda and they said the axle on the left side is different, but I found one but unknown mileage as of now. Hopefully its the same or less but its 25 bucks more then the one I found... so yes, people can wise crack me about researching my problem ;) and tell me theres a search button, Ill def. understand... haha.. thanks tho. Gary

Probably, but my plans are get a trans to use for now, till i have time and/or money to rebuilt the trans or get me the b16a2 to put under there with everything i need... either way its gonna cost me so upfront bones to get her fixed up... so

Ya I saw that but, 1, getting the trans out for me is not going to be easy, because after I was in my wreck last year, I no longer can lay on my back under a vehicle for more than 5 minutes. And 2, I don't have any tools to do that right now. :( Worst part tho, the bone yard that said they had one, said that it was damaged in the accident darn it, So tomorrow comes the many calls to the rest of the surround bone yards with in an hour away... :-\ - Gary

Bubblegum machine just hit the jackpot.. Found me a rebuilt one about 45 minutes away, for 650, and it had no more than about 5k on the build... so ya.. :-D -Gary

Sadly no, but the shop doing it for me is giving me a good deal on doing alot of stuff I cant get done, but also around here they are rare sadly, plus it was thru a parts finder tho too and to get it rebuilt all shops wanted clear over 800+install -Gary

Ya.. The problem being tho, was it was being put in the shop today, so.. I definately appreciate you looking out for me tho. They got it going and it sounds like a brand new car again, no trans wines or anything. Now to fix the o2 sensor. Which I need to figure out which color cables are which and if it is right, check the cabling from the ecu to the heater because I keep getting that stupid code so... -Gary

Back