tranny/press plate/disc/flywheel question(s)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok i currently have a b18c1 engine with a ys1 LS transmission in my crx. my current clutch flywheel setup is a mystery. i just bought a b16 cable trans to put on the car. with it im getting a clutchmasters HD pressure plate.

my first question is on the clutch disc. the person who sold me the tranny told me that it is a 90-91 tranny. so i will need to get a 90-91 disc correct? he said that 90-91 and 92+ differ in the number of splines on the input shaft. is this correct? also what clutch disc would you recommend. i dont want it to be too aggressive but i want a nice bite to it. how much should i expect to spend on a disc? new? used?

next question is on the pressure plate. the previous owner said that it bolted to the flywheel with 9 bolts. while skimming through the helms and seeing what its gonna take to install all this it says that the pressure plate is held with only 6 bolts. the helms is for a 94 integra. do the 94+ integras only use 6 bolts? secondly, does with matter? if my current setup only uses 6 bolts will i be able to use this pressure plate with only 6 bolts out of the 9? does the flywheel only have 6 bolt holes in the 94+ flywheels?

pics of what im talking about.
from helms....
gallery_1242_98_1098717646.jpg

from a b16....
http://bulletproofb16.no-ip.com/pp.gif

I know for a fact there are 9 bolts because i just changed my clutch like 15 mins ago.

The splines are different depends if your trans is cable or hydro.

hydro trans - hydro clutch
cable trans - cable clutch

edit**
oh yea, it doesn't matter what b series engine you have they all have a 9 bolt pattern for the clutch to be mounted.

The clutch really only depends on the trans you're using too.

my confusion lies in why the helms says there's only 6 bolts and everyone else says theres 9.\

92 civic, what engine was it that you changed the clutch on?

it doesn't. i think it's just showing you the pattern you're supposed to tighten it in. It actually shows you that there are 9 bolts supposed to be there in the lower picture...kinda. 3 sides/flange things on the PP, 3 bolt/holes on each side.

I changed it on an LS.

Yes, on newer b-series, there are only 6 bolt holes in the Flywheel. My freind is running a pressure plate that has 9 holes but is running a stock b-series flywheel, so there is only 6 holding it on. He has had the setup for at least 2 years now, drag races a decent amount, and is a track whore at gingerman raceway, and his is sitting tight.

It may be 9 for the cables, but newer b-series FW's are 6.

Any aftermarket clutch will have the 9bolt, even if you only run the 6. Also, many if not most non OEM FW's have 9 bolts

Don't buy a used disc

I have the exedy sport orgranic disc, and it is extremly streetable. It is very cheap too, and can be found on HT for extremly cheap, at about half of what ACTs are. ACTs are very nice too but are on the pretty stiff side. However, all my freinds say they get used to theirs. My freind had a clutch master, and within a year, the disc started slipping like crazy. He later upped to a ACT one.

as for flywheels, its really is up to you. I have the ACT street lite, and I wish I would have gone lighter.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 25 2004, 06:42 PM
I changed it on an LS.
[post=407296]Quoted post[/post]​

i meant what year engine.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 25 2004, 08:34 PM
Yes, on newer b-series, there are only 6 bolt holes in the Flywheel. My freind is running a pressure plate that has 9 holes but is running a stock b-series flywheel, so there is only 6 holding it on. He has had the setup for at least 2 years now, drag races a decent amount, and is a track whore at gingerman raceway, and his is sitting tight.

It may be 9 for the cables, but newer b-series FW's are 6.

Any aftermarket clutch will have the 9bolt, even if you only run the 6.

Don't buy a used disc

I have the exedy sport orgranic disc, and it is extremly streetable. It is very cheap too, and can be found on HT for extremly cheap, at about half of what ACTs are. ACTs are very nice too but are on the pretty stiff side. However, all my freinds say they get used to theirs. My freind had a clutch master, and within a year, the disc started slipping like crazy. He later upped to a ACT one.

as for flywheels, its really is up to you. I have the ACT street lite, and I wish I would have gone lighter.
[post=407330]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks, thats really what i was looking for. i was just worried that there might be a problem running a 9 bolt pressure plate with a 6 bolt flywheel. (if thats the case, im not sure whether the flywheer on the car is 6 or 9)

what can i expect to pay for an exedy disc? an act disc? where would i buy just the disc from? recommendations?

I have 3 (2) have a new clutch. 1990, 9 bolt/ 8 on fly (can't remember for sure though)

1995, same thing

2000 I haven't pulled it apart yet

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 25 2004, 09:08 PM
I have 3 (2) have a new clutch. 1990, 9 bolt/ 8 on fly (can't remember for sure though)

1995, same thing

2000 I haven't pulled it apart yet
[post=407346]Quoted post[/post]​

I am 100% sure that on 95 and 96 OEM integra flywheel is a 6 pressure plate to flywheel bolt. I am not certain on the number of bolts for the flywheel to crank bolts. Are you thinking that? I am almost sure on those bolts there are more then 6, but not on the pressure plate to flywheel

I went with prostreetonline.com Go onto HT in their sponcered forum, and find a few threads by them, and normally they have coupon codes

If I remember right, ACT FW's are around 200-240, and the exedy clutches are like 200. ACT clutche sets are really expensive at around 400

If you want to go really light, there is a sponser selling fidanza fw's for 190 shipped

im not really looking for price on the flywheels, just the clutch disc. i can use the stock flywheel im not too worried about that now that i know even if it is a 6 bolt i can still use the 9 bolt pressure plate.

I'm pretty sure the Ls i got is a 95 but it has a pr4 head so I dunno, it may be a 94. Anyway, where is this sponser selling fidanza's for 190, and which weight is it, I'm looking for a >10 lbs

go onto honda-tech and go to the sponcered classifieds and go to the performance section. I think it is on the second or third page. Fidanza = 7.5lbs

Back