Tranny problem for a genius to figure out?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Epox_Ardere

This has got to be the strangest things I've ever experianced. Here it goes.

The car is a '90 civic sedan with a d16z6 swaped into in and a '90 civic dx cable tranny. The tranny had no problems before the swap and drove like a dream. During the swap the only thing I changed was the clutch disc. Now when I drive I here a loud shuddering noise but only when the car is turning to the left. Thinking that the cv joints for some magical reason broke I swapped the axels for new ones. No help. While trying to diagnose this problem I had the front end on jack stands and took the wheels off. Put it into first gear and let it run. The thumping noise again only happens turning to the left. but only through the turn and not if you hold it to the left. The sound does not seem like it's coming from the axels. The shuddering is bad enough to make the engine kinda move to the same boucy beat. But highway driving has been fine. It also does it when you drive over dips or humps, and sudden acceleration turning back from the left to the right.

I've checked the tranny oil level and it's fine. I'm using honda trans fluid.

quick brainy idea. Would it have anything to do with the fact that the car has power stearing but it's just not connected?

it still sounds like an axle. they only make noise when turning one direction. you may have gotten some bad ones in there. i would pull them out and check them. i seriously doubt it's your tranny.

The funny thing is that I was using the exact same tranny and axels before the swap with out a problem.

it could be the power steering pump making noises. also, are the axles new or used. if you put in a new engine, the added power might have snapped axles that were a hair from breaking anyways.

It did it with the old and new axles. Here's another question. When I changed the pressure plate if I put one in from a 95 civic but the tranny, flywheel and clutch diaphram are from the 90 civic would it cause this?

Back